Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
When do you call on a professional mechanic ?

There is a lot of value in performing your own repairs and maintenance on your Porsche or Supercar, but if one is not sure of what they are doing, bigger problems can be created. There are good and bad, but can you go too far ?

https://youtu.be/Q3OKHVi6Z9g

TURBO = Free Power
Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
There is a lot of value in performing your own repairs and maintenance on your Porsche or Supercar, but if one is not sure of what they are doing, bigger problems can be created. There are good and bad, but can you go too far ?

https://youtu.be/Q3OKHVi6Z9g
I have owned many sports cars, and hot rods. Most common shops will give you the run around, most dealers will take an arm and leg, its best to yelp, and call around. All "cool" cars are a headache to own, they are sweet when they run, but indeed a headache. If you find someone who can take care of the stuff you cant do, Keep that person! they are worth their weight in gold.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Dude abides...

Garage
When do you call the professional mechanic? When you have the money to spend...
Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
no doubt....and in some cases a second mortgage

TURBO = Free Power
Old 02-16-2017, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Cool video ! I took my 993 in for corner balance and alignment and they told me I had to get a new muffler because mine was broken inside and I had a oil leak that was going to cost $420 to fix. It was a lost nut on the bracket and the oil leak took less than an hour to fix... value your car and value your self to fix it.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I don't think it comes down to aptitude, it comes down to having the correct tools. There is so much good info online, you can basically get step by step instructions to do anything. Some things you simply can't do at home. Wheel alignments, machine work on heads or valves, etc. Any home mechanic with access to the Internet could do 90 percent of the work as long as you have the correct tools. The wrong tool can make the job difficult, impossible, and cause damage. The wrong quality of tool is also a danger. Cheap tools strip, and break bolts. 12 point sockets are an absolute no go. The good thing about the forums is that they not only explain the step by step process, but they recommend needed tools and mods to tools to complete the job right. Even specific brand names. Something as simple as removing the spark plugs could be a headache, but with the right swivel extension it is a breeze.
Long story short, you call a professional when you don't have the tools to do it yourself. Anyone can pull and rebuild a boxer engine, you will just have to buy a bunch of special tools and equipment that you may only use once. For me personally, new tools are like Christmas to me.

Last edited by Derek911; 02-25-2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old 02-25-2017, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: