Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Upgrading stereo, Alpine instructions are poor

I'm upgrading the stereo in my 964. My goal was to replace everything and add a discrete compact sub for less than $600, and not require any significant mods. I went over budget a little but all in all I've found some good prices, and what is shaping up to be a reasonable upgrade.

I could've gotten the head unit (Alpine CDE-SXM 145) a little cheaper, but I like the vendor (Crutchfield). I did end up getting a compatable Alpine amp (a compact 4x45) from an online vendor for a good price.

Crutchfield goes above and beyond with extra instructions specific for the 964. However the instructions with the Alpine products are amazingly vague, and somewhat generic. I haven't done a car stereo install in probably 25 years, and remember getting very good instructions with gear purchased.

For speakers I went with Rockford Fosgate's Punch line. Besides price, the RF's have a very plain black grill with a small logo. I got 4x6 for the rear deck, and a two piece set of 6 1/4" with separate tweeters for the doors.

For the compact sub, I went with a Kenwood powered small box that will fit under the passenger seat. Another 964 owner did a post using this box, so I know it will fit.

Before family, and two kids bound for college; this would've been a high end, rattle the windows system. Now I just want some decent sound and something that will give me hands free ability with my phone.

The original head unit was a Blaupunkt cassette player that was put in the car at the original dealer. The rear deck speakers were total goners, the surrounds having disintegrated long before I got the car. The door speakers still had the original tweeters, and the 5 1/4" were replaced with generic speakers(Planet Audio??).

Pics to follow.
'91 964 Targa guards red, cashmere
several 914's and loads of parts

Last edited by 914986; 08-18-2017 at 10:34 AM..
Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: