Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Help with door locking mechanism

I'm having trouble putting the door locking mechanism back together after I disassembled it. I took two pictures inside the door, looking back towards the locking mechanism, both showing the same image from slightly different vantage points.

The part circled in red is the pin (1) that is attached to the door lock, which turns as the key is turned in the lock.

The part circled in green is the pin (2) that is attached to the mechanism that actually locks the door. It works when operated manually: when the pin is pushed forward and backwards the lock engages and disengages.

I'm having trouble understanding how the motion is transferred from (1) to (2). Am I missing a part, something that holds (1) and (2) together? I can't find anything like that looking at the relevant schematics in the service manual. :(

Has any of you good people done this before? Any advice?

Old 09-02-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The lock mechanism has 1 or 2 prongs (pin 2 in your photo)

2 prongs on drivers side to be able to open and close :

The passengers side only has one prong so that you can only close it.
In this photo you can see that the two pins should touch :

Not sure how it is possible that your lock mechanism is so low compared to the other pin, but at least now you can see what it should look like...
Old 09-04-2017, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you Normandy -- this is strange, my picture is from the driver's side (1990 911 C2) and there I have the 1-prong mechanism! In my photo it looks like it's too low but it isn't, the two pins do touch. I thought it would work that way, but what I don't understand is what keeps the lock (looking at the picture you posted) from turning away from the pin its touching? I mean, it would keep turning until... what?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you look at the bottom of the first page of this post : https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/132146-door-locks-cylinder-barrell-and-other-fun-stuff.html you can see photos of the handle and lock barrel disassembled.
Theres a spring in there which should center the pin, and a bar that stops it being turned 360.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I don't understand the problem. Is the door not locking or unlocking? The early cars 1991 and earlier had the single prong on both sides. It can only be unlocked with the key but not locked. The later cars had the two prongs which can be locked and unlocked with the key. Is this what you are talking about?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cobalt and Normandy, thank you guys so much. I didn't know the car couldn't be locked mechanically, this makes sense. Now the only thing left for me to figure out is what would prevent the key from turning clockwise (driver side) until the pin hits the back side of the door on the inside. I'm pretty sure something should limit its movement before that. Hopefully I get to working on the lock today.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: