Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Full throttle ignition timing map

I am fairly new to this forum. I recently installed an aftermarket engine management system on my 964 c4. I had the vehicle dyno tuned at the shop with a four wheel mustang dyno. The shop was not familiar with Porsches, even though on the phone they told me they were. They had a very difficult time getting my car onto the Dyno and straped down.

The tune cost me $1400 which I thought was Way too expensive when they didn't even seem to know what they were doing. Regardless the end result, power and throttle response seemed to be what I was expecting.

I was looking around on the Internet and came across the SW chips performance engineering website. I saw that they had the timing map at wide open throttle of a euro cup 964 compared to the base map. I wanted to compare mine to it that the tuner shop did. Upon reviewing it, my timing is way less advanced in the lower RPMs then even the stock 964 timing curve.

It gets me wondering if the Dyno shop that did mine did a bad job. If I have less advanced in the lower RPM's than even a stock 964 I am assuming that they did not optimize the power in that RPM range. I am concerned that they did not have enough airflow to the engine and my air intake temperature could have been we're very high causing premature detonation.

If someone could take a look at the pictures below the first is the timing map that the Dyno shop came up with. The second is the timing curve from SW chips for the stock 964 and the euro cup.

I would like some advice to know if I should go back to the Dyno shop and see if I can get them to redo it considering I paid $1400. Or if the timing map they did seems good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Octane? A standard Euro spec map would be for 95, a Euro spec Cup would be for 98 .
Old 10-17-2017, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm running 94 up in canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-17-2017, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There are very few shops that can dyno tune a 3.6. I agree that your table looks odd. Why do you need 300 and 400 kpa rows at all? Send it to Steve at 911chips and ask him if it looks reasonable. For $1400 you probably could have flown him out to tune it personally
Old 10-18-2017, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: