Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is there anyway to do a cheap LS swap in a boxster

Is there anyway of doing a cheaper LS conversion on my boxster then going to renegade for there expensive kit ,where can i find out how to make brackets and step by step process hope someone can help, thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you're very patient, you wait and watch for someone who bought all the parts to do a conversion, everything on this "project" sits for a while, the wife complains, then they get rid of it all at a discount.

Making your own brackets, machining your own adapter plate would take considerably longer and if you're not used to fabricating--I would not go this route.

Almost no local machine shop would want to mess with making one adapter plate for you and even if you did find one it would cost well more than Renegade one because you'd need to essentially bring the LS1 motor and boxster trans to them, leave it there so they can take measurements, and pray it doesn't get put on the back burner for several months.

I've been down this road before and it's just not worth it.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on your goals. LS truck motors are cheap. You can spend a fortune on the install if you want everything to work. A bare bones race car would not be so much. I could not do that myself.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you already own a 3d printer you might be able to do it cheap. 3d printers are not cheap though.

With an LS swap there are about 180 conversion puzzles to solve if you want everything to line up and all the electronics to talk to each other like a factory car. The Renegade kit offers solutions to all of this so it saves you hundreds of hours in R&D work re-inventing the wheel, and potentially breaking stuff in the process. The kit is cheap if you attach any value to your time.

Find a free V8 motor that fits. Buy the conversion kit. Save $$$.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah that would be great to find someone with a kit that was not used!ive been looking no luck yet! I did pick up a LS6 motor already just need to start to get the conversion component to start!maybe with some luck i will find it,thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Look at this site and go from there. Been done plenty of times. I'm currently converting my nuked 996 C2 to LS1. He has motor mounts, engine adapter plates, clutch, technical info, etc. on this site.

www.stuttgartmuscle.com
Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddidf View Post
Is there anyway of doing a cheaper LS conversion on my boxster then going to renegade for there expensive kit ,where can i find out how to make brackets and step by step process hope someone can help, thanks
I've been on the lookout again for a good donor car to try and do a "budget" Boxster V8 conversion. There are certain bits which as another person mentioned, are just not worth trying to do on your own such as the adapter plate. Just have the cough up the $$ or looks for abandoned projects. Most of it is doable otherwise.

If it helps I did this conversion a few years back the expensive way and documented much of the process, made a lots of videos etc. which you can find here: BoxsterLS376 introduction - LS3 conversion - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

Also for those who are interested here is a video of the final product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ303oD_EIY&t=1s

All that said if anyone has a cheap Boxster S preferably with a bad engine let me know! My goal would be to do the project as inexpensively as possible, document it and if possible make parts available to others~

Last edited by JJK78-951; 07-15-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: