Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Yan,

The Porsche center oil radiator has 7/8" ports so other than your system holding more water you're still dealing with small ports. Plus the oil radiator has both ports on top, not one up, and one down.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #381 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mitch,

I am going to see if I can get a custom made one with low restriction and 1 1/4 ports made. I just sent back a boxster front radiator with the 7/8ths ports. I am hoping that the small amount of sq inches extra should be the answer. If not then there is something else wrong. The car runs smooth and is a blast to drive. Long highway runs are the only issue at higher speeds...
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #382 (permalink)

Garage
Yan,

Sounds like you're on top of it... I just returned from a 4,000 mile in my 966/LS3?480 HP. I had no problems while driving in 100 degree temps and 75-80 MPH, but my oil temp got over 250 degrees. I'm not going to install an engine oil cooler, I hope that helps. If I drove 65 MPH the oil temp would go down. However at 80 MPH I'm only turning 2,375 RPM's.

Have you checked you oil temp?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #383 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mitch, I really like your rpm range at 80. That is what I am looking for eventually. What is a good oil temp range? I will probably add an oil cooler eventually. Which one are you going to add?

Yan
Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #384 (permalink)

Garage
Oil temp gauge...

Yan,

I'm installing an aircraft oil cooler with aircraft insulated hoses that will be custom made. I found this water and oil temp gauge on the internet. You can buy one or two probe sensors. The gauge can be set, it has an alarm that sounds when you reach your temp setting. Very small, has a big LED display...

Engine Temperature Alarm Dual Sensor Latest Technology Compact Display | eBay

Here's some pixs of my install: I did some surgery on the ashtray so it's hidden when not needed. This is the nicest compact unit I've found. The owner of the company is a car guy and we've become friends, albeit he's in Australia, I'm in Texas...

Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #385 (permalink)

Garage
Oil Temps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan2947 View Post
Mitch, I really like your rpm range at 80. That is what I am looking for eventually. What is a good oil temp range? I will probably add an oil cooler eventually. Which one are you going to add?

Yan
Yan,

You want your oil temp to be at least 220, but not over 250. If it gets hotter than 250 some of the additives can start to breakdown, at least that's what I've read. However for shorter time periods your synthetics can tolerate temps as high as 300 degrees. However you would want to change your oil after that.

I'm installing an aircraft oil cooler with custom made aircraft insulated hoses.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #386 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Mitch, why an aircraft oil cooler? Where are you installing it? Any photos?

thanks for the info! I will probably order the same duel sensor.

Yan
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #387 (permalink)

Garage
Yan,

I just completed the mounting brackets yesterday and will post pictures when it's done. I'm a pilot and most things with airplanes are well done, you're life depends on it. Plus the cooler fits, I had a hard time finding any place around the engine that would accommodate the cooler and still be in a wind stream, but not up against the exhaust headers. I didn't want to mount it under the front bumper valance since that would require a lot of plumbing. So I really don't know how well this is going to work until I give it a try.

You want to bring down the oil temp, but not over cool the oil. I wish there was a mechanical thermostat. I was told even if there was one that because of the sandwich adapter between the oil filter and block you can't cut off the oil flow, it you did it would stop the oil flow to the engine. I'm not sure this is correct???
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #388 (permalink)
I want a project 911

I love this. Where in Hudson Valley are you? I'd love to see this car....
Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #389 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I did the 3500 rpm for a couple of miles the other afternoon. Temps never went over 200* and as soon as I went to a more reasonable rpm temp dropped to back to 191*. But again this is not in a Porsche. Front engine car
Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #390 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I can keep it to 195 or 200 but for some reason after about 5 miles the temps start to climb. I am sure that the oil is warming up good also. I never see a problem until about 5 miles and if you keep the rpms up it climbs. As soon as you drop the rpm's my temp drop immediately and go right back down to 190 ,180 and lower. If you never above that perhaps your radiator is just big enough. I ordered the front center 997 radiator and will put it in series when it arrives. I have a feeling that I will no longer get hot. We shall see...

Jbaker... New Paltz area
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #391 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Took my front spoiler off and mocking up my Better Bodies Motor Sport 935 narrow body front spoiler. It has enough room for a 996/997 center radiator. I got one from Csfrace.com The inlet and outlets are 1.75" but with the Porsche plug and play hose it bottlenecks it down to 7/8"! I ordered a 1.75 to 1.25 silicone reducer and will run the front radiator in series... Got my fingers crossed.

Here is a photo of the mock up.

and hoping when it is all done it kind of looks like this...:

Someone else is selling their 911 so I hope they don't mind I borrow a photo for inspiration...
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #392 (permalink)

creative floor jacks

Are you using USPS cardboard boxes as floor jacks? Very creative, but man that makes me nervous for you. It seems like they could slide to the side very easily. There are so few of us brave/crazy enough to put chevy's into a porsche, I would hate to loose one of us
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #393 (permalink)
R.I.P.

it looks like the flat rate boxes are holding up the valance, not the car
Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #394 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Lol! You guys are killing me! Yes they are my floor jacks to hold up the valance so I guess you are both right! They were acting as shimmy's to line everything up.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #395 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Slowly getting there...
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #396 (permalink)
Nine11cab

Leave him alone

People I can appreciate all the purists but its his car and he can burn it if he likes. If the LS conversion appeals to him then why post all those negative comments. We all try to do something out of the box to our cars to make them slightly different then the next guy. SO PLEASE! Stop all the negative comments, we are all here to appreciate Porsches and help one another. Just saying!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #397 (permalink)

Garage
LS V8 Oil Cooler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Leland View Post
Yan,

I just completed the mounting brackets yesterday and will post pictures when it's done. I'm a pilot and most things with airplanes are well done, you're life depends on it. Plus the cooler fits, I had a hard time finding any place around the engine that would accommodate the cooler and still be in a wind stream, but not up against the exhaust headers. I didn't want to mount it under the front bumper valance since that would require a lot of plumbing. So I really don't know how well this is going to work until I give it a try.

You want to bring down the oil temp, but not over cool the oil. I wish there was a mechanical thermostat. I was told even if there was one that because of the sandwich adapter between the oil filter and block you can't cut off the oil flow, it you did it would stop the oil flow to the engine. I'm not sure this is correct???
A pix of my oil cooler install...

Old 09-15-2014, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #398 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mitch, we were looking at options today for an oil cooler. Same issues as you. Not much room. I may scrap the front radiator. Lots of plumbing unlike your 996 with porsche installed plumbing. I may just put the tall gear in first...

Old 09-15-2014, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #399 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
G50 01 5th gear swap

I have the g50 01 tranny with stock gears. I am going to replace just 5th gear because anything more then that is really large bucks. The stock gear is in the .892 range and the tallest after market gear is around .667 Additionally, I understand that a G50 50 fifth gear will work and it is in the range of .756

My goal is to have a highway "overdrive" type gear for cruising and really drop the rpms. Can anyone give advise on what they have done for fifth including extra noise that an aftermarket gear makes and the large jump I would have from stock forth to the taller fifth.

If I do the swap is anyone interested in my 5th gear or trade for a tall 5th gear

Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #400 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: