Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to ViolentBlue
watercooled porsche engine into an A2 jetta

I'm told that the early 924's used an audi engine

any one know what engine its based on?
I was planning on building a engine for my Jetta, and depending on what block its based on I might be able to swap a 924 engine in instead.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I am ALMOST certain Porsche used a massaged version of the engine that came in the Volkswagen LT commercial vans.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
Old 01-12-2002, 12:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Absolute Beginner

Hello

The 924 was planed as Audi 100 S Coupe follow up and used the Audi 100 S coupe engine. In the Audi the last stage was the dual carbed 118 HP version. Those engines where used in Audi 100 Limousines and Avants as 1,8 and 2,0. The last version was the 2.0 130 HP in the A6. It was replaced by the new 2,0 VW engine.

This engine was always a niche between the smaller Volkswagen and the bigger 5 Cyl Audi engines ( Yet the 5 cyl is developed from a inline 6 witch was based on the Audi 4 cyl )
This engine was designed by Mr. Kraus who worked at Mercedes togehter with F. Porsche and after F. Porsche left Mercedes Mr. Krauss was responsible to build the raceengines.

So the funny thing was Mr Kraus used to improve the Porsche designed engines in the mercedes race cars to compete against the new Porsche designed engines in the Auto Union race cars.

And yes the same engine was also used in the LT. But stroked to 75 or 85 HP. In the Audi 100 the engines also had only 85, 90, 100, 105 and 115 HP.

I don´t think it makes sense to use the 924 engine in a A platform car. A good made 8V GTI has nearly the same power and wights 10 kg less plus is a simple fit. Yopu also can bolt in a 16V.

But in B Platforms ( like the early 32 B ) the engine fits nice and has enough flesh to outpereform the VW engine.

But fact is most tuners skiped that solution so normaly the small VW engine is blown up or the 5cyl was used. Not very much tuning stuff for the Audi engine around and the 924 Turbo was most to expensive and complicatet when a 5cyl turbo had nearly the similar power for a lower price. The additional 30 kg don´t count for most people as they are not thinking about balancing the car for fast track driving.

Grüsse
Old 01-13-2002, 08:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm looking for more power.
would a 16v 944 engine bolt up?
Old 01-14-2002, 11:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to strlen
Hey, the Audi 3a engine (very similar to the
924 2.0 8v engine) bolts right in, and produces
115 horsepowers. Not truly impressive.Honest I've never heard of anyone swapping a Porsche 16V engine into an Mk.2. The most common swap is 3A (AAA), ABA (Mk.3 2.0), 16V 2.0 and 1.8. A more challenging, yet possible, swap is the VR6 engine from a Corrado. Im not a big expert on it, but there's an FAQ about engine swapping VW's out there, I'll see if If I can find it. The ABA block has the advantages of table top flat torque, and huge after market -- camshafts, P&P heads, turbo kits, Neuspeed S/C, AMS S/C, etc.. the 16V engine can be built up to some impressive amount of power, and a tuner did a 12-second all motor (no nitro, no turbo, no s/c!) 8V (a rabbit I believe) as a proof of concept once. I'll see if I can find the URLs for those. Checkout the 2.0 and Mk.2 forums on forums.vwvortex.com, there's quite a lot of dubbers there with similar engine swaps. Hope this was helpfull. In Februrary issue of Eurotuner (a magazine which you should check out), there's an Mk.2 VR6 Golf, while in January issue of Eurotuner, there's an Scirroco 16V running 12.5 (lot of motor tuning + nitrous), with quite an appropriate vanity plate ("TRBO ETR").

Last edited by strlen; 01-29-2002 at 12:49 PM..
Old 01-29-2002, 12:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Absolute Beginner

Hello

here in germany you can get a VR6 for the same money like a 944 16V engine. Some use the 5V Turbo from the new cars in there A2 platforms. People with big money use biturbo VR6.

I don´t like the VR6 in the A2 it makes to much wight on the axle but a good made 2,0 16V from a A3 or Passat 3 can pump nearly 180 HP and wighst nearly similar to the 1,8 16V. Yet it is not as troublesome as a G60 or VR6.

Grüsse
Old 01-30-2002, 10:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I'm going with a turbo'd vw 16v engine.
I've even considered a mazda rotary engine, but Kenedy dosn't have a kit for it.
I figured the big horsepower and light weight would be cool. but alas, I'll be sticking with VW
Old 01-31-2002, 09:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Absolute Beginner

Hello

Well why not go the other way ?

Buy a Cobra frame and slip the MK2 Body over it.

Had been done with a MK3 in germany ( 11.2 ET 320 km/h topspeed Street legal )

Grüsse
Old 01-31-2002, 11:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

uhhh, No
Old 02-04-2002, 04:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Absolute Beginner

http://www.michaelfroehlich.com/auto.asp

Old 02-07-2002, 12:56 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

thats just insane
Old 02-07-2002, 09:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: