Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

new build need advice

I am new to the world of Porsche. I am looking to build an older Porsche, i was thinking maybe a 964 or 930 into a daily/ occasional road course car. My general plans for the car are buying a rolling chassis, swapping an ls motor, suspension revamp, and a gt racing wide body kit. I have a few questions before i start the build though, and I heard there are some pretty knowledgeable people on here so i came to ask them. The first question is what would be the best year chassis to buy for me to start the build? Second question is there a better option for ls swapping beyond renegade hybrids or is that the best in every way? and lastly what do you think is a reasonable amount of money to set aside for a project like this for everything (chassis, engine, suspension, bodywork, etc.)?

Thanks in Advance -William
Old 06-25-2012, 07:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

buy a car that is smog exempt if your states warrants it.in ca the laws suck renegade hybrids have been around a long time you can buy full kit minus motor get a motor that is reliable and either rebuilt or low miles they are not expensive 2 to 4 grand
Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Walking down the same path

William,

I am taking a 914 and doing a full RestoMod on the car and hoping to use a Renegade Kit as well. I'm looking to drop in the WRX STi Subie motor once the car has been dipped and coated, and add a 911SC suspension system. You'll have to keep me up to date on your project.

James
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm doing exactly what you said your plans are. Check out my threads.

Here's where I go through a full restoration of a fairly nice 1986 3.2 Carrera. I added GT-Racing flares, then pulled them off when I got bad advice from the body shop. I then welded on steel panels from here - back when they sold them.

DIY IROC RSR Conversion

This thread, I'm doing the full LS swap from Renegade. I've purchased every single piece that Renegade sells including their AC system. I'm not done with it, but it'll give you an idea.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/649179-rsr-ls-conversion.html

Hal

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/649179-rsr-ls-conversion.html
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: