Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
SHO into a 912

So, I rescued a sad '66 912 that was headed to the scrapyard many years ago, had big plans for it but not a lot of money or skills. It ran and drove, but had a VW engine in it and rust in the usual places. I took it completely apart and started cleaning, sandblasting, and rebuilding what I could, but got sidetracked and the project got put on the back burner. one thing led to another and 20 years went by.

Fast forward to now - moved out to the country, built a shop, realized I'm not getting any younger and better get to work on the Porsche. Admitted to myself I'm not anal enough to do a real "restoration", it's just a 912, not a 911S, and I'm a hot rodder anyway, so might as well build it like I want. Didn't want to go with another VW engine, not going to pay ridiculous prices for a 912 engine, didn't want to go with an LS V8 like everyone else seems to (I've got 3 of those already in other vehicles), decided to swap in a 3.0L SHO V6. Yes, they came with god-awful Ford Tauruses wrapped around them, but the SHO V6 was designed by Yamaha and are pretty sweet little motors. Only 220hp stock, but plenty for a little lightweight bare bones 912.

I've searched far and wide, and I haven't found anyone else that's done this exact swap, although I did find people that have put SHO's in just about everything else - a 914, an Austin-Healy, Ranger pickup, etc. Kennedy Engineering actually makes an adapter kit (plate, flywheel, clutch) to mate the SHO block with the Porsche 901 transaxle, but I had actually fabricated my own adapter plate out of 6061 T6 aluminum before I discovered Kennedy.

The project is still underway, going slowly as I find time to work on it, but at least it's up on the lift in my shop rather than shoved back in a corner gathering (more) dust. Here's a few photos of the "progess" so far:

Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Great idea! I never click on this thread but had to check this out, I remember riding in a SHO back in the day, 1992 ish.

FYI Rick Titus made a few SHO into Ford "Festiva" I think & called them Shogun's, Jay Leno bought one.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 01-13-2018 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 01-13-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's tight. but engine lid clears intake.....barely. Oil pan is about 1 inch lower than transaxle.

Last edited by earlybroncoguy; 01-16-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I have to commend you for taking on a different approach and doing a very interesting swap! I'm quite interested to see how this swap goes. Please do keep us updated!
17 Macan GTS
97 240SX
94 Land Cruiser
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: