Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SHO into a 912

So, I rescued a sad '66 912 that was headed to the scrapyard many years ago, had big plans for it but not a lot of money or skills. It ran and drove, but had a VW engine in it and rust in the usual places. I took it completely apart and started cleaning, sandblasting, and rebuilding what I could, but got sidetracked and the project got put on the back burner. one thing led to another and 20 years went by.

Fast forward to now - moved out to the country, built a shop, realized I'm not getting any younger and better get to work on the Porsche. Admitted to myself I'm not anal enough to do a real "restoration", it's just a 912, not a 911S, and I'm a hot rodder anyway, so might as well build it like I want. Didn't want to go with another VW engine, not going to pay ridiculous prices for a 912 engine, didn't want to go with an LS V8 like everyone else seems to (I've got 3 of those already in other vehicles), decided to swap in a 3.0L SHO V6. Yes, they came with god-awful Ford Tauruses wrapped around them, but the SHO V6 was designed by Yamaha and are pretty sweet little motors. Only 220hp stock, but plenty for a little lightweight bare bones 912.

I've searched far and wide, and I haven't found anyone else that's done this exact swap, although I did find people that have put SHO's in just about everything else - a 914, an Austin-Healy, Ranger pickup, etc. Kennedy Engineering actually makes an adapter kit (plate, flywheel, clutch) to mate the SHO block with the Porsche 901 transaxle, but I had actually fabricated my own adapter plate out of 6061 T6 aluminum before I discovered Kennedy.

The project is still underway, going slowly as I find time to work on it, but at least it's up on the lift in my shop rather than shoved back in a corner gathering (more) dust. Here's a few photos of the "progess" so far:

Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Great idea! I never click on this thread but had to check this out, I remember riding in a SHO back in the day, 1992 ish.

FYI Rick Titus made a few SHO into Ford "Festiva" I think & called them Shogun's, Jay Leno bought one.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 01-13-2018 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 01-13-2018, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's tight. but engine lid clears intake.....barely. Oil pan is about 1 inch lower than transaxle.

Last edited by earlybroncoguy; Yesterday at 02:51 PM..
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have to commend you for taking on a different approach and doing a very interesting swap! I'm quite interested to see how this swap goes. Please do keep us updated!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: