Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
77 Slant nose Ls Debauchery

Hey all. (Copy and pasting this from my thread in the technical forum,. I did not see the conversion forum when i made that thread, and i think im more welcome here. Lol)

My names Sam, im from san diego, CA. I joined a few days ago and have been trolling the classifieds trying to amass the ridiculous amount of parts i need for this undertaking. Parts have started to roll in, so i figure a build thread may be in order.

Fair warning for the purists so you can stop reading here: This car is getting a v8,

A bit of a backstory. The car is a 1977 911 Coupe, which was converted to a Slant nose some time in the 80's, It appears to be a fairly good conversion, Steel flares, fenders, etc, with smooth transitions and minimal filler. It was originally Geezer gold, but was resprayed guards red at some point, likely when the conversion was done.

The car supposedly led a decent life, but was sold to a local dismantler, who did their thing after it did not sell. The Shell was bought bare by my friend James(FSTTarga on here), with ambitions of a body swap, but priorities changed, and the targa lives on.

I decided to take the car off his hands (not really since its still at his house ) to house an LS1 i have had laying around for a little while. Ive been Contemplating my options with it, and this seems like the most fun.

The car is currently on a cart, he began to strip the paint off the hood before other projects became priority, and the car was put into storage

as it sits at the moment

i thought the crest looked neat with guide coat overspray and the mangy paint

Over the last week i have purchased just about everything i need to get it rolling. I got burned on one ebay purchase, but overall everything is rolling in nicely and as expected.

So far i have gotten some control arms, used boge struts off of James' targa, and i have gotten one of my front hubs, which i tossed in the blaster, and painted the exposed parts with some black paint, before knocking out the old bearing races, and loading it up with some new seals, races and bearings, i am still waiting on a hardware kit to finish up mounting, so at the moment only the inner bearing is installed. I have not decided on my brake setup so i decided to forego the cost at this point to get the car rolling.

I also managed to score a really clean gas tank off of a 73 on Offerup for $60 bucks. The tech at the shop i got it from was not pleased with the parts guy for letting it go so cheap, but im not complaining. There is some sort of coating that is flaking on the inside, so a hot tank and a coating at a rad shop is in order.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a whole lot of baffling, so i will more than likely be running some sort of surge tank to prevent fuel starvation.

Unfortunately the hood struts are dead, so i had to resort to some interesting measures while loading up with parts

And one of the other part, a trick carbon sunroof skin, which i will be using as a plug, since i do not like sunroofs and i dont want to drop 1k plus on a smooth roof skin.

Thats all for now guys, Im still waiting on the rest of my suspension garbage to roll in, once it does im going to go buy some hardware from the local hardware store, and get her rolling and off of the cart (which, if the unnamed guy who this was bought off of, i do fully plan on returning the body cart once the car is on its own wheels, sorry about that, lmao)

Once she rolls i can get her out of the storage shed and into the workshop and the real fun can begin. At this point, it is going to be as budget friendly of a build as i can manage, since i do not have terribly deep pockets (i probably got the wrong car, am i right?) but as time goes on, i do plan on making this a fairly nice drivers car, but first order of business will strictly be running gear. Who doesnt love a ratty pile?

That being said, i am planning on doing a fairly complete respray as well. Im not sure on what color i want to spray it. Currently, Black, Amethyst, and hellgelb are on my list but im not entirely sure which direction to go at this point.

As far as Driveline, My motor is ready to go, and i found a pretty sweet deal on a 930 box that comes with an LS adaptor kit, i just need to find the cash to drop on it, but once i get that, the mock up and engine mount fabrication can begin.

As an addendum for anyone who may be offended by this car going watercooled, i do plan on doing the minimum possible modifications to fit radiators and cooling lines, i think i will be following the stock routing for the oil cooler lines for my water lines, and am toying with the idea of using a smallish front core, and using one or two additional radiator cores in the rear fender vents, to keep the modifications to a minimum on the chassis.

Thanks for looking
Old 05-04-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum Sam! Sounds like an ambitious, fun project that I'm sure will be quite special once completed. Keep us posted and updated on the progress and don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist at all! Lastly, I'm including a link to our site's DIY tech articles to give you a helpful guide on some of the procedures that you'll likely be tackling.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm
Old 05-04-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks dmitry. Ill be sure to sift through those as my project goes along
Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hey all

I havent been updating this thread as much, But heres a quick recap

All of my suspension bits showed up, so i was able to get those all bolted on, Im still working through an issue with my steering linkage which looks like its going to end with me shortening a piece of the steering, but other than that shes rolling

(for what its worth im not proud of how i had to get it off the body cart, but it was the best option available to me at the time, and i didnt die, so it was a success i guess)

I also picked up a 930 4 speed off of facebook Marketplace for a pretty good price. Im going to need to do some work on it, but its nothing major. I paid less than most porsche boxes go for alone and it came with an LS1 swap adapter, clutch and flywheel, so i cant complain, but it was still several thousand more than ive ever spent on a transmission, so that hurt

I promptly bolted it up to my polyfoam block, cause who doesnt like to see that kind of stuff ASAP?

Im waiting on (the wrong) crossmember, and once that shows up, i think the first order of business is going to be mocking it all up and getting the engine cradle made and out of the way.

Im also messing around in CAD, trying to figure out a header design that satisfies
A. a more exotic sound. I i originally wanted to try and build an 8-1 setup, but i think it is just not going to happen with the space allotted, so i settled with this 8-2 180* setup (this is about the 4th design ive modelled, and by far the most likely to happen
B. Not going to be horrendously complicated

I think this one will be doable with some slip joints where the primary tubes meet the spider looking bit under the pan Obviously it will come with some heat shielding to keep the oil temps from getting too ridiculous

-
Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
How’d you end up mounting the radiators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-04-2018, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFla7Nose View Post
Hey all

I havent been updating this thread as much, But heres a quick recap

All of my suspension bits showed up, so i was able to get those all bolted on, Im still working through an issue with my steering linkage which looks like its going to end with me shortening a piece of the steering, but other than that shes rolling

(for what its worth im not proud of how i had to get it off the body cart, but it was the best option available to me at the time, and i didnt die, so it was a success i guess)

I also picked up a 930 4 speed off of facebook Marketplace for a pretty good price. Im going to need to do some work on it, but its nothing major. I paid less than most porsche boxes go for alone and it came with an LS1 swap adapter, clutch and flywheel, so i cant complain, but it was still several thousand more than ive ever spent on a transmission, so that hurt

I promptly bolted it up to my polyfoam block, cause who doesnt like to see that kind of stuff ASAP?

Im waiting on (the wrong) crossmember, and once that shows up, i think the first order of business is going to be mocking it all up and getting the engine cradle made and out of the way.

Im also messing around in CAD, trying to figure out a header design that satisfies
A. a more exotic sound. I i originally wanted to try and build an 8-1 setup, but i think it is just not going to happen with the space allotted, so i settled with this 8-2 180* setup (this is about the 4th design ive modelled, and by far the most likely to happen
B. Not going to be horrendously complicated

I think this one will be doable with some slip joints where the primary tubes meet the spider looking bit under the pan Obviously it will come with some heat shielding to keep the oil temps from getting too ridiculous

I like the pipe design but i think the cradle is going to get in the way
Old 06-04-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: