Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Building 1969 Formula Car, need help!

Type 1 2110cc dual Dellorto engine going in with hopefully a rear shift Porsche 914 5 speed 901 Transmission and mating them! Tranny will go out the rear, VW mounted mid-engined behind roll hoop!

Think keep VW T-1 12v flywheel but need Porsche Starter and a 914 throw-out bearing. I think a non ringed Type 3 open finger clutch would all mate (200mm) so I can use the VW aftermarket discs! The starter engagement can improve by milling starter mount area on the starter body, bringing more engagement!

Anyone else do a 901 mated to a T-1?

Plan on going 930 CVs and shorter axles using Patrick Motorsport adapters on the 914 tranny flanges to mate the 930 CVs!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-21-2018 at 09:19 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The 901 has been mated several times to a T1, but...it's not a great option. Those boxes are pretty crude, can handle only "slightly" more power than a beefed up 3 or 5 rib bay bus trans or bug '73-79 SSC (single side cover). and the 901s are well known to get stuck in gear because of not so great synchros. Although it would be nice having the 5th gear.

You can contact owdlvr if you have questions, but if this is a track car, I wouldn't suggest going this route with a 901:

https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11341
Old 05-22-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewombat View Post
The 901 has been mated several times to a T1, but...it's not a great option. Those boxes are pretty crude, can handle only "slightly" more power than a beefed up 3 or 5 rib bay bus trans or bug '73-79 SSC (single side cover). and the 901s are well known to get stuck in gear because of not so great synchros. Although it would be nice having the 5th gear.

You can contact owdlvr if you have questions, but if this is a track car, I wouldn't suggest going this route with a 901:

https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11341
Thanks!

I have a very built VW Tranny too! I would have to flip the r&p and get 930 tranny axles! And should get a 3.89, as it is a CR box and only a 4speed! Yes I have the 914 box and I like that top gear! It would be a fancy cable shift set up and I was looking at possible mods to that box! Don't know costs for higher end 914 Tranny builds (doglegs, synchos, etc)! I will be at about 150hp, but might go about 180hp!

It will be purely a toy for lapping and I like the car being based on mostly Porsche 914 mechanicals, except the engine! But even that has Porsche touches!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

With the Porsche 914 (I am at 125mph at 5800 rpms and 134 at 6200 rpms.)

with 25.5 diameter low profile tires, 4.44 diff, and .79 ZD gear!

Vice with the VW Transmission at 109mph at 5800 rpms and 116mph at 6200 rpms).

with 25.5 dia., 3.89 diff, and 1.04 4th gear! Naturally the VW box would get me there a lot faster, but then is limited, throwing away near 15 to 20 mph!

On a track like Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, or California Speedway, that is a helluva difference! So you see why the low cost 914 box is being considered. As I don't want to outlay the cash on a 915, that doesn't improve my top end any.

I might set the car up to be able to swap trannies, and run the VW unit in Autocross, and use the 914 as a dedicate track usage config. On a track, I won't be doing any standing starts and may never touch first gear at all, with the torque of the hipo Type 1 engine. The linkage is pretty unobstructed, as I don't have to snake it thru a full bodied car (if I don't go cable shift, but bars and heims).

I think the 914 boxes are about a 148 lb/torque max stock (except 1st gear), about??????

The trannies hang out the a$$ end, so do-able, with adjustable links and maybe a dedicate top suspension bar for each transmission. I hear there is only an inch of difference. I will probably lay both units side by side in the garage and see where the driveshaft axle position is on each, in relationship to each other.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-23-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Contact owldvr then, there are several subtle differences in the 901 box between different years and he seems to know quite a bit which route to go.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewombat View Post
Contact owldvr then, there are several subtle differences in the 901 box between different years and he seems to know quite a bit which route to go.
I definitely like to get my knowledge up to a respectful par, when I approach a smart and knowledgeable expert guy for help, so I better can understand the suggestions and points.

What I am doing is, I bought this 1969 Beach MK-5 car (Florida manufacturer of FV, FSV cars in the later 1960's). Some of the story is long, but I wanted to put a VW engine in it, with the swing axle it came with, and my brother took over that build with fancy Porsche Flat 6 ideas. I ended up with the damaged nose and said uh!

Thus looking at that chassis, I could mimic that easily, and weld one up (even going chromoly). I had hot rod VW stuff and old 914 stuff laying around in the garage. I started inventorying what else I would need and only have to buy stuff and fabricate the chassis and mounts, and rear uprights (going with a two plate system with weld on brackets and a bolt on aluminum bearing housing that takes T-1 outer axles with 930 CV flanges. I have a bunch of 914 parts like the suspension arms for the front, gauges, the transmission, etc.. will use a VW hybrid rear disc that sell for about $300 for the kit, and all of the front 914 front brakes, etc. sway bars, and marry a top brace from the 914 , but run a shorter strut or shock coilover! I have some 3" travel Koni 3012 double adjusts that would be perfect.

So lay two chromoly tubes down on the flat garage, sit the seat between them, and attach an aluminum pan, add in a roll hoop related to helmet height. Lay in the pedal length, the dashboard support hoop, mount the front a-arms and assemble the spindles and brakes and mount a rim/tire, then from that established height, move to the back and after assembling CVs and axles, to the bearing housings and with test assembled brakes and rim/wheel mounted, see where that height is, come off of the two rails and hoop , and then fab up the engine/tranny mount related to the front end, and then fab up the uprights, and some lower a-arms. Next create the upper rear suspension mounts and shock towers or brace, run the supports back from the hoop, and then figure out the front upper everything, then add vertical tubes to add two top parallel bars. Marry in the steering, the shifters, and then the coolers, etc.. The gas tank is triangler and under the lean back seat. etc. etc. etc. I am still in the planning stages.

A fun total scratch build, but paying attention to wheelbase, and SCCA regs naturally. The 2110CC puts me a little over a 2L class by 110ccs, but it is a solid engine that was right at about 150hp already, so why change it, and it is just sitting taking up space. So if the 914 tranny blows up (also currently just sitting and taking up space), I put the VW in temporarily and chase something better, as a project like this will nickel and dime you till done. I don't have the cash to go all high end, or I would build a F-5000 with a V-8. I hope to have it kind of cool, but essentially very homebuilt dune buggy level, but single seat. It I calculate will come in under 1200 lbs!

Thanks! I will take this suggestion to contact this guy you recommend, but I want to learn a little more prior to engaging an expert. PS I am building the ultimate 1964 Corvette Road Racing car currently, which is my expensive project. BOE on everything. Aluminum Engine, 12 Bolt special fitted rear diff, ROD 6 spd tranny! Etc.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-23-2018 at 07:16 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: