Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Considering an engine swap

Hi All,

I've got a 912e that's generally in very nice shape. I like the narrow body G series cars, I like the lightweight and handling of the lighter type-4 engine, and I like this car. It just needs more power.

I've been considering going with a turbo type-4 for some time, but by the time I get to my goal of about 175 hp, I'll end up spending well over $10,000, and will require a huge amount of design and fabrication on my part (turbo exhaust, intake, custom dry sump, oil lines, oil coolers, etc.) In the end, I'm afraid that I'll still have an obscure, fragile, unreliable type-4 engine.

I've also considered a flat-6 swap, but that would involve a massive expense, about $20,000 after you factor in builder engine, rebuild, intake, exhaust, cooling, electronics, oiling and misc parts. Add to that, it's a heavy engine, and I like the balance of the 912.

So, I'm back to considering a Subaru swap. Advantages here is super reliable, cheap, commonly available engine with a rock solid (5 main) bottom end, twin cam head that's 175 out of the box, and 200+ with a tune. The Subie, even with the water is the the same, or less weight than the Type4 engine.

Obviously, the issue is the cooling system.

My requirements is I don't want it to look like a hack job, and I'm not willing to lose my trunk space.

So, help me out with making a decision here. Should I spend more time trying to design a type-4 turbo, or just bite the bullet and figure out how to Subie swap?

There are two really great threads here that I like their cooling systems. Neither of these cut into the trunk, but I don't know how well they will work on an impact bumper car. The issues with these are I need to get rid of the fuel evap and overflow tanks in the left fender, windshield wiper bottle in the left fender.

I'm also playing around with pressure drop, and I can compensate with an additional electric water pump easily.

Here's some cooling system info that I'm considering.

Help me style this beat-up old 912

PVX build thread: one view from the slope

I could also add two additional radiators behind the rear wheels.

Note, I'm OK with adding a center radiator, with a Carrera RS style relief behind for puller fans and airflow like this:

Old 05-29-2018, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hereís a possible option: a pair (or maybe 4) Audi S4 supercharger auxiliary radiators, in front of the wheels???

Theyíre only about $130 a piece.

The issue is how can I route the cooling pipes so theyíre not an eyesore along the sides of the car? I will not hack into the heater ducts period, the coolant pipes will be external.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-29-2018, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
thotdoc

Rebuild the Type 4

I raced a Type 4 for several years and it was reliable enough with the exception of at the exhaust valve on 3 if memory serves. You won't be racing.

Easy enough to get 175 hp, especially if you go to a 2.3 or 2.4 kit.

I would modify a Type 4.

It will not bastardize the car.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotdoc View Post
I raced a Type 4 for several years and it was reliable enough with the exception of at the exhaust valve on 3 if memory serves. You won't be racing.

Easy enough to get 175 hp, especially if you go to a 2.3 or 2.4 kit.

I would modify a Type 4.

It will not bastardize the car.

Iíve already started a Subaru swap.

I figured it would cost WELL over $10,000 in parts alone to build a reliable T4 engine. Even if I shop around and go cheap as possible. Look, parts kits from TheType4Store are $10,000.

Add to that machining, ceramic coating, external oil cooler, and itís cheaper to build a 911 engine.

At the end, with a Type4, youíre left with an extremely obscure engine thatís fragile and very difficult to find parts for.

With a Subie, youíve got a very common, 5 main bearing, forged crank, Nikasil cylinder, 16 v engine thatís 175 hp out of the box. Simple tune and cam, youíre over 200. Even with the water and radiators, it still weighs less than a Type4.

Right now, Iím fitting a stealth front radiator thatís tucked under the bumper and does not protrude into the trunk ó still have full trunk space. Only had to relocate the jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-01-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: