Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

C.O.A. please explain

So I know in the old days, several years ago, when you ordered a C.O.A. they would list the original engine and tranny number on it. I guess due to scams and number altering on the case, they quit doing this and you have to supply the numbers. If they match they write, "Numbers matching" next to the numbers you provided. So why are so many C.O.A.'s that I'm seeing on bat where the seller says its numbers matching, does it not read numbers matching on the C.O.A. They appear to be newer C.O.A.'s which are signed by Klaus Zellmer. I just purchased one on my barn find, and it returned reading, "Numbers Matching". Please explain.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
So I know in the old days, several years ago, when you ordered a C.O.A. they would list the original engine and tranny number on it. I guess due to scams and number altering on the case, they quit doing this and you have to supply the numbers. If they match they write, "Numbers matching" next to the numbers you provided. So why are so many C.O.A.'s that I'm seeing on bat where the seller says its numbers matching, does it not read numbers matching on the C.O.A. They appear to be newer C.O.A.'s which are signed by Klaus Zellmer. I just purchased one on my barn find, and it returned reading, "Numbers Matching". Please explain.
They only started doing the “matching numbers” with the last 12-18 months. Before that they listed the engine and trans numbers and if that’s what the numbers read on the car’s engine and trans and nothing looks tampered with then it would be numbers matching regardless of what it says on the COA.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
It’s too bad as the days of hunting down a cars missing engine and trans are over
Old 02-23-2019, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
They only started doing the “matching numbers” with the last 12-18 months. Before that they listed the engine and trans numbers and if that’s what the numbers read on the car’s engine and trans and nothing looks tampered with then it would be numbers matching regardless of what it says on the COA.
Ok, that makes sense if it’s that recently that they changed their practices. It is a shame for people looking for the correct engine and tranny for their car.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I’ve gotten myself into a bit of a pickle over this particular issue with semantics. I, too, was under the impression that if they returned an engine and/or tranny number, those numbers would be the ones for your car. I supplied two numbers, one for engine, and one for tranny, and received a COA with the numbers matching that car. The confusion started when the tranny number was not the number I supplied. The COA did not report the number I provided. I assumed if the numbers did not match, they would not have reported the correct number due to the risk of the fraud issue above. Nevertheless, I had a COA with a number and nothing to note it was incorrect. Time passes and I check the numbers against each other....totally different and down a rabbit hole I go. I find my wrong turn when I check application and see I supplied the number I had, but they returned the correct number for the car.

After a few emails, PCNA replies they only notate “Matching Number” or “Not Confirmed” on cars produced in 1979 or EARLIER. Anything after that it seems they return the numbers associated with the car....regardless of what you may or may not have provided.

Just replying to the thread to maybe help another owner eliminate the hassle and axiety of number differences.

End
Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareMileSC View Post
I’ve gotten myself into a bit of a pickle over this particular issue with semantics. I, too, was under the impression that if they returned an engine and/or tranny number, those numbers would be the ones for your car. I supplied two numbers, one for engine, and one for tranny, and received a COA with the numbers matching that car. The confusion started when the tranny number was not the number I supplied. The COA did not report the number I provided. I assumed if the numbers did not match, they would not have reported the correct number due to the risk of the fraud issue above. Nevertheless, I had a COA with a number and nothing to note it was incorrect. Time passes and I check the numbers against each other....totally different and down a rabbit hole I go. I find my wrong turn when I check application and see I supplied the number I had, but they returned the correct number for the car.

After a few emails, PCNA replies they only notate “Matching Number” or “Not Confirmed” on cars produced in 1979 or EARLIER. Anything after that it seems they return the numbers associated with the car....regardless of what you may or may not have provided.

Just replying to the thread to maybe help another owner eliminate the hassle and axiety of number differences.

End
This must have been before the change. I really wish they still did this. Not very easy or reasonable to counterfeit it, you would need a blank motor to start with and there’s not too many of those to be had

Last edited by nathanbs; 02-23-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Old 02-23-2019, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just for reference, this was for a COA dated 10/7/17.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:

End
I would like to get a coa on my 89 Speedster, while I know it’s all numbers matching, I would like to have it in the event my wife needs to liquidate down the road. So being an 89, I would NOT see matching numbers written on the C.O.A.? Would Porsche still want me to provide numbers, or will it just put what’s correct on the C.O.A. from their records?
Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Last edited by robertmark; 02-24-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
I would like to get a coa on my 89 Speedster, while I know it’s all numbers matching, I would like to have it in the event my wife needs to liquidate down the road. So being an 89, I would NOT see matching numbers written on the C.O.A.? Would Porsche still want me to provide numbers, or will it just put what’s correct on the C.O.A. from their records?
Thanks for sharing your experiences!!
You would have to provide the numbers and then they will confirm that they are matching and print them on the COA otherwise if you don’t supply them it will be blank and say “not confirmed”. Unless this is all different on an ‘89

Last edited by nathanbs; 02-24-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Nathanbs-
That was the assumption I was operating on...that if the number provided did not match records, it would be noted as “Not Confirmed” or left blank altogether. What I got was a COA with with engine number I provided but nothing noted (“Matching”??) and trans number I DID NOT provide (the correct transmission number it so happened) and nothing noted. COA has all the correct numbers, only some of them not provided by me. That was when they told me Matching/Not Confirmed would only be provided for cars produced in 1979 or earlier. I just assumed both numbers on mine were provided by me, and with no “Not Confirmed” anywhere, they matched records. Too many assumptions on my part, only unwound by knowing what I actually provided. I found it helpful to double check what I provided with copy of application.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Quote:
Nathanbs-
That was the assumption I was operating on...that if the number provided did not match records, it would be noted as “Not Confirmed” or left blank altogether. What I got was a COA with with engine number I provided but nothing noted (“Matching”??) and trans number I DID NOT provide (the correct transmission number it so happened) and nothing noted. COA has all the correct numbers, only some of them not provided by me. That was when they told me Matching/Not Confirmed would only be provided for cars produced in 1979 or earlier. I just assumed both numbers on mine were provided by me, and with no “Not Confirmed” anywhere, they matched records. Too many assumptions on my part, only unwound by knowing what I actually provided. I found it helpful to double check what I provided with copy of application.
Old way versus new way. Did I say I wish they still did this? All my of the ones I did previous to the change I anxiously awaited receipt to cross reference to my cars numbers. I was never under the impression you were until approx a year ago.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The VIN report that Suncoast offers does have the engine and transmission numbers on the report. I checked that report against the numbers that are on my car and they match.

You might try that, only $10.

Last edited by Ralph3.; 02-24-2019 at 10:21 PM..
Old 02-24-2019, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3. View Post
The VIN report that Suncoast offers does have the engine and transmission numbers on the report. I checked that report against the numbers that are on my car and they match.

You might try that, only $10.
I ran a Suncoast VIN report on my '87 turbo a few weeks ago and the engine and trans numbers were not provided on the report. I emailed Suncoast and asked them about this and they replied simply saying they were surprised the VIN report still worked at all.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Bought one a couple of weeks ago for my 1990 cab and the information was on the report.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Bought one a couple of weeks ago for my 1990 cab and the information was on the report.
Did you supply the numbers? What information was on the report, matching numbers was written on it?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't supply anything besides the VIN and $10.

Got an email back in a couple of days with a pdf file attached.

Listed a variety of information including Engine number, Transmission serial number, option codes, exterior paint, top and interior specifications.

Went out in the garage took a picture of the number stamped on the case and it matched the number on the file. Admittedly I have not checked the transmission but all of the information on my under hood/ owners manual sticker and engine number match the report.

I have been too cheap to buy COA for a 1990 Cab, but appears that my car is matching numbers, not that it really matters but it's fun to know.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't supply anything besides the VIN and $10.

Got an email back in a couple of days with a pdf file attached.

Listed a variety of information including Engine number, Transmission serial number, option codes, exterior paint, top and interior specifications.

Went out in the garage took a picture of the number stamped on the case and it matched the number on the file. Admittedly I have not checked the transmission but all of the information on my under hood/ owners manual sticker and engine number match the report.

I have been too cheap to buy COA for a 1990 Cab, but appears that my car is matching numbers, not that it really matters but it's fun to know.
And that was through Suncoast? Thanks!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, saw it mentioned in another thread on rennlist. I have started to receive junk mail from Suncoast though....
Old 02-25-2019, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: