Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

odometer digits dont line up perfectly

when someone sells a 911 sometimes they will take a picture of the odometer and post it so that any prospective purchaser can read it for themselves. -0k cool

but what i've noticed is (based on pictures) that at times the individual digits on the odometer don't necessarily line up

not being accusatory but am wondering is that normal for these cars ?
have others noticed this as well ?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Recreational User

40 year old mechanical odometers using plastic gears. It's a wonder they still work at all.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ok guess its normal then ty
Old 03-27-2019, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

I take all odometer claims on these cars as a "maybe".

The speedometer takes just a few minutes to remove (only held in place via friction with the rubber seal that surrounds it), so can be replaced or tampered with with ease.

The odometer drive gear commonly breaks (sheds its teeth when the plastic turns to mush) on these things and who knows how many months or years it takes an owner to have it repaired.

And the electronic versions (all, after some point in the early 70s) can be unplugged in about 30 seconds by removing the cover on the floor between the little jump seats in back and exposing the connecter from the pickup puc mounted on the differential cover.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
I take all odometer claims on these cars as a "maybe".

The speedometer takes just a few minutes to remove (only held in place via friction with the rubber seal that surrounds it), so can be replaced or tampered with with ease.

The odometer drive gear commonly breaks (sheds its teeth when the plastic turns to mush) on these things and who knows how many months or years it takes an owner to have it repaired.

And the electronic versions (all, after some point in the early 70s) can be unplugged in about 30 seconds by removing the cover on the floor between the little jump seats in back and exposing the connecter from the pickup puc mounted on the differential cover.
My mechanic had to send a speedo out for me a few years ago. He asked me what I wanted it set to. That's what it came back at.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 03-28-2019, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Recreational User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
My mechanic had to send a speedo out for me a few years ago. He asked me what I wanted it set to. That's what it came back at.
That's very unsettling.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Im honest. I had it set the way it went out. No way to tell really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
The odometer gear set is garbage. The numbers not lining up is normal
Mine broke a couple years ago at 82k ish when I pushed the trip reset. Don't ever push that!
The repair left marks on the back of the trim ring. Any low mileage purchase by me would require a speedo inspection.

The steering wheel and drivers left side bolster are a better mileage gauge.
I love the sub 50k cars where the driver side seat looks like roadkill.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
devalued member

Location: Mumbai West, Silicon Valley Ca but headed to the foothills soon
Garage
the clutch and brake peddle rubber wear can also be a clue. I know those can easily be swapped out, but why would they be on a low mile car even if 40 years old?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Recreational User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Im honest. I had it set the way it went out. No way to tell really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
What I meant was that it's unsettling that your mechanic would set the odo to whatever you want, without any concern about how it may be used. That's unscrupulous as well as a federal crime. I know there are plenty of a-hole owners out there who don't care about cheating others, but I expect professionals to hold a higher standard of ethics.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Recreational User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
the clutch and brake peddle rubber wear can also be a clue. I know those can easily be swapped out, but why would they be on a low mile car even if 40 years old?
I pulled the perfectly good pedal covers on my 64k-mile concours car and installed brand new ones, because any wear at all results in a point deduction in competition. I also replaced the plastic escutcheon that surrounds the ignition switch with a brand new one for the same reason. Ditto for the cheap plastic gas pedal. Make all the jokes you want about people who clean their cars with q-tips, but this is a reason why things like that get replaced.

Almost any interior item can be replaced to make an interior match a low-mile odometer. You can also slap a fresh Maaco $1500 paint job on it to make the exterior look the part.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Mine broke a couple years ago at 82k ish when I pushed the trip reset. Don't ever push that!.
I pushed a trip reset while driving and the odometer broke.

Alway be at a full stop before resetting.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: