Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
The boost boys will never know the anazing sound of the engine as a set of carbs crack open. The closed system and the impeller on the turbo really hinder the sound that is a flat six on full song.
To be fair a properly modified turbo has amazing sounds of it's own.
The turbo whine combined with the buzz of the flat six that is drastically louder when the twin waste gate open up on boost.
There is no hiding the sound of an engine when that's going on.
And all that is complemented with amazing cackles & pops at shifts and on decel.

To me it's the best sounding car ever. And the daily complements back it up.

Plus if your engine doesn't scorch the paint under your bumper, it should.

Butt what do I know. I'm just a Big Ol Di*k Head
Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Yep, hard to refute the photographic evidence, Deez!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
LOL, OK back on topic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
what emulsion tubes are you running?

blah tech forum blah blah
Porsche ditched this caveman tech in the 70s.

The old school guys had no other option ... the computer stuff wasn't up to snuff then. If it were, I bet those guys would have done the same.

Today ? It's just a quaint choice.

Last edited by pmax; 04-15-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
gearhead

Driving vintage cars is quaint. W don’t do it looking for the newest tech. We do it for fun. For some, just driving the car is fun. For others the fun is in doing the mods as well.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
devalued member

Location: Mumbai West, Silicon Valley Ca but headed to the foothills soon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
What image ?

Wait, there is another caveman azz whupping thread besides the aforementioned CIS beatdown ?

not so much a beat down, but again the pony-boy with his passive/aggressive call out of me muddying up the tech forum with some humor even in a 914 tech question in the 911 section. he does reference the sting I laid on him regarding his condescending tone while dispensing his wealth of knowledge describing my comments as "coming at him with a vengeance"...Ö funny thing is I got nothing from the admins warning me of inappropriate content and what can become of it... see raw on this....

he could very easily put me on ignore like others have that have no appreciation for my flavor, but to this point he hasn't as far as I can tell. ill pick my spots with the pony-boy moving forward, even antagonizing him some given the chance simply for the sport of it. see the recent overuse of BOLDENED FONT as an example.

I don't ever recall past or current legends of knowledge talking down to people so frequently. your grady clays, john walkers and even the occasionally grumpy earlySman were always respectful to those inquiring. pony-boy not so much.

ill be here if you wanna send him over for another "beat down" of me in this sandbox where there are no snitches, or pony-boy hero worshipers. yourself pnutz included.

I really need to get my move to the foothills completed as waiting out escrow killing time here in the bay has left me with idle hands for this nonsense. can't wait to get up there, put on my caveman garb and get to tuning my webers for the higher altitude. contrary to recent examples I do have better things to do in the big picture.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Driving vintage cars is quaint. W donít do it looking for the newest tech. We do it for fun. For some, just driving the car is fun. For others the fun is in doing the mods as well.

dam it all M2, you've made me tear up twice in the same thread now.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Driving vintage cars is quaint. W don’t do it looking for the newest tech. We do it for fun. For some, just driving the car is fun. For others the fun is in doing the mods as well.
Industry and marketplace perceptions need to move forward here. We're going to fall behind even the muscle car crowd.

It's a fuel delivery system upgrade, not an electric drivetrain conversion.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I don't ever recall past or current legends of knowledge talking down to people so frequently. your grady clays, john walkers and even the occasionally grumpy earlySman were always respectful to those inquiring. pony-boy not so much.
It seems to me when the tech forum lost Clay a few years ago, that was a major turning point given his unofficial role in moderating and setting the tone.

Forum also lost that irreverent humor from some of the other folks back then.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Industry and marketplace perceptions need to move forward here. We're going to fall behind even the muscle car crowd.

I donít even know what this means.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

I've always been amazed by the general lack of humor and readiness by many to take offense at any commentary they don't like (even when not involved at all in the funny exchanges). Like I mentioned to Tobs yesterday, it's sometimes hard for me to believe that this is supposed to be a place for "car guys" (as opposed to a Puritan meeting house). Thankfully the Marketplace forum exists!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 04-15-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Driving vintage cars is quaint. W donít do it looking for the newest tech. We do it for fun. For some, just driving the car is fun. For others the fun is in doing the mods as well.
Gotta agree with the quaintness factor - everything about a 911 is qiaint, Stone Age design and tech. It always makes me laugh when someone says that some mod, wheel type, etc., looks "dated"; the whole fookin' car is dated!
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:

my pops has a resto-mod, non matching numbers 67 Chevelle SS396 that spent time as a drag racer in the late 70 & early 80 so it's been terribly molested, but a very cool car none the less. he a year or so back pulled the holley 4 barrel off it and went to an EFI system to the tune of $2500 complete! he did install/program it himself so that added cost was nonexistent.

you really can't compare muscle cars with our cars because for 2500 you ain't gunna sniff an efi system as you are all aware. shoot, you prolly could not have a shop rehab a cranky CIS system for $2500 for parts and labor on a 911.

long and the short of it we are paying the porsche tax on all things related to these cars. im not saying a muscle car is cheap to mod, just not stupid expensive for the basics. ive had a jeep now for about a year & a half with FI (how about that nutz? a fuel injected caveman!) and I chuckle at times looking at cost to mod stuff compared to the porsches ive had over the years.

at least you can still buy new components for carbs if you look in the right places. in so many places CIS parts have the dreaded NLA tag in the catalog. who's in the dark ages now?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
gearhead

CIS is total dark ages. It’s a mechanical fuel delivery system, not an electronic one. Pick your poison; carbs, cis, or Mfi. Before the 3.2 it’s all ancient hardware.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-15-2019, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
I think everyone is being playful here and not taking it too seriously. Learning a lot from you guys. I'm dumping my CIS for carbs.... it's fun, has a cool factor and reminds me of my old VW days back in high school. Sure there are better setups and this and that but everything has a price tag. I set my budget with Carbs being part of the package... .is there a better setup.... of course there is. There is always something better, faster, etc. My college basketball coach put it best one day... Opinions are like butt holes..... everyone has one and most of the time they stink..... This is not directed at anyone here as I appreciate all the feedback , banter, and learnings.

If I wanted to spend another $4 or $5k on my $75k build worth $55k , I would definitely do ITB's or put Motec it is the way to go Had to draw the line somewhere though.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
you really can't compare muscle cars with our cars because for 2500 you ain't gunna sniff an efi system as you are all aware. shoot, you prolly could not have a shop rehab a cranky CIS system for $2500 for parts and labor on a 911.
Carbs (and CIS) are no cheaper if paying someone to tune them.

Seems like EFI systems all use similar components, sensors, ECU, injectors, rails with the SW being the key enabler. No p-car only parts is a good thing costwise, eventually.

Quote:
at least you can still buy new components for carbs if you look in the right places. in so many places CIS parts have the dreaded NLA tag in the catalog. who's in the dark ages now?
Quote:
CIS is total dark ages. It’s a mechanical fuel delivery system, not an electronic one. Pick your poison; carbs, cis, or Mfi. Before the 3.2 it’s all ancient hardware.
Yeah, CIS is dark ages as well, no question there but it is OEM, as I said in my initial reply to this formerly tech forum thread. Many parts are still available, Jetronic were used in many other makes, both common and "exotic", so it's not that bad a situation.

Whoa, what's with this all non-asshattery discussions in PPMPF ? Raw would be sorely disappointed.

Last edited by pmax; 04-15-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
raw may take me to the wood shed on this one, but with your extensive study of the CIS system nutz what makes you think you could not become carb familiar? you seem to be pretty sharp, albeit a bit awkward socially here im sure you could get a grasp if you really wanted to.

I realize you must have your SC smogged and that precludes any differing delivery system than stock. you seem to be afraid to death of carbs when once you learn a bit about them you may likely become addicted too. ive been working with my current carbs now for a couple years and am way more comfortable with them than I ever was with the CIS system in my old SC.

to each his own, but carbs are bold AF and that fits my bill. I knew I was a carb guy the day my CIS was removed during the spec racer build and I drove it around the block with carbs that 1st day.

consider stopping by some Saturday or sundee in the next few weeks before I leave for the foothills and we can take my car for a drive. im confident you will exit the car grunting, dragging your knuckles on the ground and begin looking for your very own caveman club.. I know it will leave your SC feeling FLAT AF in comparison.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ after you convert to EFI out in the foothills.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
. . . I'm dumping my CIS for carbs.... it's fun, has a cool factor . . .
If I wasn't so addicted to the boost pipe, and owned one of the slower 911 models like many of you boyz do, I would do the same. I've always liked carbed engines, and have a lot of past experience tuning them, so would enjoy the 911 carb process, no doubt . . . except for the, "lack of horsepower and torque" variable of a naturally aspirated, vintage Porsche six. Turbo powaaaaahhhhh, or might as well walk!!!

Quote:
. . .

Yeah, CIS is dark ages as well, no question there but it is OEM, as I said in my initial reply to this formerly tech forum thread. Many parts are still available, Jetronic were used in many other makes, both common and "exotic", so it's not that bad a situation.

Whoa, what's with this all non-asshattery discussions in PPMPF ? Raw would be sorely disappointed.
pNutz, one area where CIS sucks royally is tuneability (not talking about idle AFRs either, and shiit). There is no way to tune the system if the components are left unmodified - invasive work needs to be done to the WUR, and then the fuel head, if one is not satisfied with the as-delivered tune and weak power output of the stock system. This is not a big deal for those that are happy with original performance, but for people that require more, like me , this means added expense and learning just to make the fuel system adjustable.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
I think everyone is being playful here and not taking it too seriously. Learning a lot from you guys. This is not directed at anyone here as I appreciate all the feedback , banter, and learnings.

dam, that's 3x ive teared up now in this one thread. im so emotional these days...

you'll find this here sandbox hard to quit CbAÖ...
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
pNutz, one area where CIS sucks royally is tuneability (not talking about idle AFRs either, and shiit). There is no way to tune the system if the components are left unmodified - invasive work needs to be done to the WUR, and then the fuel head, if one is not satisfied with the as-delivered tune and weak power output of the stock system.
The convoluted airflow is another, even when compared with other Jetronic cars.

Quote:
This is not a big deal for those that are happy with original performance, but for people that require more, like me , this means added expense and learning just to make the fuel system adjustable.
Yeah, the quest for more power, folks spending tens of thousands for what .... 10-20 hp and butt dyno claims, not interested and definitely not with a caveman system you can ruin an engine with. These cars are hardly "fast" to begin with by today's standards.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: