Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

DE track time - how does it affect value

After much research and examining many cars I am close to purchasing my first Porsche! I am looking at an absolutely gorgeous 911 with many standard upgrades. I plan on getting a PPI on the car but wondered if there are any issues for me now or for later resale with it having about 50 hours of DE track time. It has never been raced. I plan on putting a few DE hours on it myself too. Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 08:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My Targa has had quite a few hours of track time.

Owners that track their car usually spend more time maintaining them then a "garage queen".

The cars have more frequent oil, transmission and brake fluid changes.

Just be sure to mention it to the shop performing the PPI.

Porsche's are meant to be driven hard and fast

Good luck
05 Jetta GLI
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Randy,
The real issue with DEing a car other than wreaking it or missing a shift and wrecking engine, is oil temps. CIS Porsches tend to run lean and then hot at high revs. This definely wears the engine at much a higher rate than normal driving. Track days tend to be pretty hard on syncros and brakes as well. None ofthat would keep me from buying car if PPI is good.
Phil
Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

After a number of DE's, if you're like most of us track nuts, the cars starts to become more of a track car when accessories get added (roll bar, harnesses, ect). When you start drilling holes and stripping out unnecessary weight, you might eventually impact the resale of a car that will be put back into street trim.
I agree with the others above, cars that see track time get much more scrutiny through tech inspections and regular maintenance as well as upgrades to brake in a shorter distance, corner better and go faster.
If you do a few DE's a year there should be no negative impact. (If you owned a 911 and you didn't do a few DE's I'd wonder about you!
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. This is very helpful information. This site has been a major help in my quest for my first Porsche. So many experienced contributors share their knowledge freely - that is what I really love about this forum.
Randy
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I second the notion that track cars are mechanically fit. 50 hours on the track is nothing for a 911. Yes, high oil temps and wear may be an issue, but that will show in the compression numbers and PPI. These engines do not spontaneously blow up, they wear gradually. If you do have a good bill of health now, there is a good chance the car is a keeper. There is no guarantee with garage queens either - some damage can be done even from plain sitting around.

Go for it!

George
Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: