Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
As the reality of owning too many cars continues to weigh on my mind, I have decided to sell two of my six air cooled 911's. (Look for another one for sale in a couple months).
There in an unintended consequence of this statement. The reader infers that you are selling the worst of your collection.

Quote:
When I bought the car, it ran good with excellent oil pressure but smoked on startup. The clutch was weak as was the second gear synchronizer on the transmission.
This statement is moot considering you have addressed these issues with Bruce.
(What was the issue with the smoking on startup?)

Quote:
When I bought the car it had Boxster wheels on it. I located a set of real Fuchs with good tires and installed them. That was another $1500.
Same thing.

Quote:
The paint has had it's share of abuse and while some work by someone with a buffer could probably do wonders, that "someone" isn't going to be me.
I would get an estimate for a paint correction.

Have you listed this car on Pelican?
Old 08-13-2017, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for the feedback. Those are good points.

It's not the worst of my collection. I have a paint to sample 85 targa in my favorite color (similar to to marathon blue). I don't need two 3.2 915 targas so I'm selling one.

It smoked on startup because it needed a top-end. As I mentioned in the auction, Bruce believes the engine had never been dropped or been apart.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
The list here appears to be in the wrong order of relevance. I find that odd.

Quote:
$118 to Mr. Injector for fuel injector cleaning and flow testing (test sheet included)

$104 for rebuilding alternator (new bearings, slip ring, 40015-230 voltage regulator)

$578 to Hoff Machine shop for resurfacing flywheel replacing 4 studs, replacing valve guides, valve seals, machining valve seats, etc.

$375 to Len Cummings for new fuel lines

$146 for Powder Coating engine tin and transmission mount brackets

$2119 to dCAuto for 915 (transmission) rebuild

$2275 to Vertex Auto for new Beru ignition wires, oil lines, sensors, Sachs clutch kit, clutch cable, gasket kit, Head studs, etc.

------>Plus, the labor I paid Bruce Abbott

Why highlight minor stuff like powder coating engine tin when the Vertex order is not even completely described ?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
gearhead

TMI. Just list that maintenance in general terms. Let a serious buyer review the receipt pile when they inspect the car. It's just a lot more of extra busy the ad doesn't require. Don't over describe the car.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

I take it you aren't in sales

The eBay ad stinks, and you need take care of a few things. A really good detailing would do wonders, particularly to your own outlook and description. The ad reads like it is an unwanted, high mile beater that isn't worth your time to fix a gas guage, or even stick the rear view mirror on.

The ad should be the positives. You can't do anything about the miles, but you CAN alleviate fears people have about high mile cars, starting with the most expensive things first, i.e. complete split case engine rebuild by known shop, completely rebuilt transmission, new brakes, etc.

I realize it might seem like you are going more upside down, but presentation is key, and really - the rear view mirror? Sticking it on is all of 5 min and $5 bucks.

And thus is the quandary of owning these old cars. The cost equation is out of whack, either the price for a really good one should be higher, or the price of ones that need love like this one should be lower. The repair costs are too high for prices to make sense.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: