Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can't get them all!

After a nice vacation in FL, I diverted and tried to make a deal on this beautiful barn find, it wasn't meant to be, no deal was made, but it was fun to stare at! They are still out there!!!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
GTFOOH!

Sweet!

MattR
Old 02-26-2018, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Damn! Did he have anything else? Hahaha

3dlanes.com
Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Want

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

I like me a dirty girl.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-26-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
That car must have a cool story.
That is a real dream car.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Holy ****. Pulse went up a few notches there.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Too bad it's just wasting away in Margaritaville....

Damn, Adam, is that thing on a beach-sand floor with a canopy? Interesting - I know you buy fair so the dude must be 1) asking way too much, or 2) Jimmy Buffett.

Guess he'll let his estate take care of it....
Old 02-26-2018, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

what's the going price for a barn find 956 these days
Phil
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Holy s***t
Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Functionista

You do seem to find some gems...
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Too bad it's just wasting away in Margaritaville....

Damn, Adam, is that thing on a beach-sand floor with a canopy? Interesting - I know you buy fair so the dude must be 1) asking way too much, or 2) Jimmy Buffett.

Guess he'll let his estate take care of it....
I found this car about 5 years ago, the price then was crazy, I was in FL last week soaking up the sun and thought I would check in, the price went from crazy to insane. It's like I've always said, if the math doesn't work, it doesn't matter what the car is, math is math.

The good news is my feet went from snow to surf, and appreciated it!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-26-2018, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
In the classifieds of a 'Autoweek' was a 962 ready to race with spare engine, wheels, etc. for $50,000 in 1987.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
In the classifieds of a 'Autoweek' was a 962 ready to race with spare engine, wheels, etc. for $50,000 in 1987.
Man, if we're going to break out the time machine and start buying cars, I've got some calls to make.

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-27-2018, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

Adam,
Would you be willing to share a little about what you learned regarding this specific carís history and status as you saw it? Understanding specifics regarding location, identity and price are personal details that would not be appropriate.

For posterity.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
Adam,
Would you be willing to share a little about what you learned regarding this specific carís history and status as you saw it? Understanding specifics regarding location, identity and price are personal details that would not be appropriate.

For posterity.
Man, I've been working this car for 5 years and still hope to get it, so I can't really talk about any of the details. But rest assured if I do snag it I will write a whole article about it.

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Man, I've been working this car for 5 years and still hope to get it, so I can't really talk about any of the details. But rest assured if I do snag it I will write a whole article about it.
Adam, I think you should also write a book about the psychology of people having to have their classics removed from their cold, dead fingers. I am sure you have a myriad stories of people well into old age and close to death who still and won't give a thing up. This sort of thing reminds me of my old landlord who had weeks to live - and when his brother came to visit him and asked for the old family table saw back, he wouldn't give it up - and asked 'How much are you going to give me for it?' The brother looked at him like he was crazy.

Oh, well. I guess we all think we're going to live forever - and take it with us.

And yes, at some point we will have to part with everything. Just wait five more years when the economy is in the tank and you'll get a call.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Adam, I think you should also write a book about the psychology of people having to have their classics removed from their cold, dead fingers. I am sure you have a myriad stories of people well into old age and close to death who still and won't give a thing up. This sort of thing reminds me of my old landlord who had weeks to live - and when his brother came to visit him and asked for the old family table saw back, he wouldn't give it up - and asked 'How much are you going to give me for it?' The brother looked at him like he was crazy.

Oh, well. I guess we all think we're going to live forever - and take it with us.

And yes, at some point we will have to part with everything. Just wait five more years when the economy is in the tank and you'll get a call.
You can learn a lot about what it takes if you read my article on buying.

https://www.pca.org/news/2017-12-07/barnfinding-anatomy-porsche-barn-find

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-27-2018, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
You can learn a lot about what it takes if you read my article on buying.

https://www.pca.org/news/2017-12-07/barnfinding-anatomy-porsche-barn-find
Great article Adam. It sounds like a really fun challenge. Hopefully they pay off way more than they donít. Iím still curious how you even come across these stashes when theyíre totally off the grid in terms of being advertised. Assuming that most have no interest in selling their hoard when you first call them, Iím also wondering how open they are to even show you what they have. Is it a challenge just talking yourself in the door?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Great article Adam. It sounds like a really fun challenge. Hopefully they pay off way more than they donít. Iím still curious how you even come across these stashes when theyíre totally off the grid in terms of being advertised. Assuming that most have no interest in selling their hoard when you first call them, Iím also wondering how open they are to even show you what they have. Is it a challenge just talking yourself in the door?
One of the largest's deals I've ever done was a couple of years ago, 50 cars total, mostly 356's but about a dozen 911/912's thrown in. It took me five years to put together, and once I did everyone was amazed the guy sold anything, he had never sold a car in 30 years. I have a black book of cars and parts stashes all over the country, some I've seen, some I just know about. You just stay on it, like this car in the opening part of the thread. I found it 5 years ago, I was in FL so I thought I should touch base with the guy, you never know, it could have gone my way, it didn't, but it could've.
The 50 car deal, you can see many of them on our poster.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-27-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: