View Single Post
Registered

I, too, am confused with "buzzing." Grinding happens when there are issues with getting the car into a gear. Most noticeable when starting from a stop, because while moving at least all the parts are rotating, even if not at the desired speeds. And clutch maladjustment can, indeed, lead to grinding.

Good catch, Iceman. I thought the threaded bolt part looked too long, but that must be because of where the nut is.

If the vertical splined shaft in the transmission is stuck/binding, you have to remove the transmission (or at least the engine) to deal with it, don't you? The roll pin holding the throwout fork to the shaft vertically isn't accessible from outside of the transmission housing.

There is a second spec for setting the clutch (3d spec, including up at the pedal stop): The distance between the hook end of the cable and the threaded Bowden housing or somewhere in that area - that's why the end of the housing is adjustable in its holder with the two nuts. I assume you found and followed that also? I once had this all screwed up, and was chasing my tail with other adjustments until someone looked and said that looked wrong. Though your picture of that part doesn't look unusual.

Borescopes these days are cheap, all you need is the mini camera on the end of a cable which you can plug into a laptop (or maybe phone) and you can look inside the clutch bell housing through various holes (you can make a large one by removing the starter, but there are others0 to see if anything looks amiss there. One thing which can go wrong over time is the throwout fork - parts of it can bend. Don't know if you could recognize this with a borescope, but handy to have and if it precludes R&Ring the drive train, worth it.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)