Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > General Car/Truck Questions & Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Should I try running 20W50?

Hey there...

Posting here since I'd like some gearhead advice.

I'm driving a KIA Stinger during the spring/summer/fall near Toronto, Ontario, Canada (so no winter driving) Driving temperatures would range from above freezing to 30C (86F).

From the factory these run on 5W30 full synthetic. 20W50 is in the allowed range according to the Stinger manual. This is the oil my former 86' 911 used to run on.

I was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to running 20W50 instead of 5W30 under these conditions?

Cheers and thanks,
Kato

Last edited by KatoKato; 11-07-2020 at 11:38 AM..
Old 11-07-2020, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Probably no advantages, and the oil will not flow as well at the colder end of your temperature range. It's not likely to cause significant problems, at least not quickly, but I wouldn't change over.

You might wind up with a small hit to fuel economy from oil pumping power losses, but it might be too small to measure.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-08-2020, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Probably no advantages, and the oil will not flow as well at the colder end of your temperature range. It's not likely to cause significant problems, at least not quickly, but I wouldn't change over.

You might wind up with a small hit to fuel economy from oil pumping power losses, but it might be too small to measure.

--DD

Ok cool ... yeah I'll stick with the full synthetic 5W30.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2020, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: