Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Online Banks?

Anyone using an online bank?

I have some cash that I want to use to help my stepdaughter and her husband purchase their first house. I might need it in a month, might need it in a year. It needs to be readily available when the right house comes along. The local bank is paying all of 0.02%, looking at Bankrate there are online banks like Ally paying 0.5%. Any fees that offset that rate? Any issues getting your money or closing the account when the time comes?
Given the poll results of the market thread, I don't want to put it into the market.

Thanks,

Old 01-22-2021, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Marcus... by Goldman Sachs. At least there's a big bank backing it. Not the highest interest rate out there, but if you want that extra peace of mind.

CapitalOne also has online-only options.

Otherwise, if you're more adventurous, Synchrony. They back the Walmart-issued credit cards among other things, so not a fly-by-night operation.

Comenity also backs some other retailers' in-store credit cards.

I have both Marcus and CapitalOne and CapitalOne and happy with both services. The only slightly more difficult thing with Marcus is adding a joint owner of the account.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/banking/high-yield-online-savings-accounts
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
I have been using American Bank for 20 years. Although I have never closed an account there, I have wired money to buy a house and cars and it has been easy.

I also have a checking account through Fidelity that has been easy to transfer in and out of.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
We both have Kasasa Bank accounts. The offer checking accounts that pay 3% APY for amounts up to $25,000 and 1% on a linked savings account up to $50k. The catch is you have to get online statements and use their debit card 12 times a month. It's a bit of a effort to keep the checking accounts topped up and make sure we use the cards. We use MrsWD's card for small purchases until we get up to 12 swipes, then put it away and use mine for the rest of the month. At the end of the month we sweep whatever we need from savings to checking. Because of we want to keep both accounts topped up at $25k and $50k all month we have another checking account for bills and use an Amex card for purchases over about $50.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 01-22-2021 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I found some great banks online...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnDKS10oFjM

But to be serious..at a whopping .03 percent difference, is opening an online account instead of going with a local bank worth the hassle?

Last edited by pwd72s; 01-22-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

In these very uncertain times I'd be inclined to use a bank you trust. Such as your local bank. A better interest rate from a bank you don't know seems like a recipe for disaster.

Check their Standard and Poors rating before you trust anyone https://www.standardandpoors.com/en_US/web/guest/home
Old 01-22-2021, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
I found some great banks online...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnDKS10oFjM

But to be serious..at a whopping .03 percent difference, is opening an online account instead of going with a local bank worth the hassle?
Not a .03% difference, a 0.48% difference. 0.02 vs 0.50.

Kasasa wouldn't work for me. I don't buy anything anymore, gas maybe once a month, rarely eat out, etc.

I'll check the Standard and Poors. Thanks.

edit:Maybe not.
Quote:
S&P.com will be conducting routine maintenance Friday at 8pm through Sunday at 5pm, New York time. Site performance may not be optimal during this time. In addition, there may be a period of time when there will be no ratings updates. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Last edited by rockfan4; 01-22-2021 at 04:56 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Why not just cut them a cashiers check when the time is right. Guaranteed funds and no worries about additional banks etc...
Old 01-22-2021, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Maybe you're right. If I deposited $25,000, the interest difference is only $10 / month. The other thing I wonder / worry about is if the 0.5% rate is an "introductory" rate, since the same banks don't pay 0.5% on a 3 month CD, why wouldn't they do that?

Old 01-22-2021, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: