Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I see you

What is WinZip?

I tried downloading an App and got a pop up that said I needed to to purchase WinZip.

WTF?

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 01-27-2021, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Its a file utility that upacks zipped files. Windows 10 has a microsoft utility that's native to do this. What os are you on? It could well be a trojan horse link.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

winzip is a name of a program to zip your file\s. What is zip the file. It is making the file\s to be smaller in size for transferring it from one place to another.

Not sure about "you need to purchase winzip" but probably they used to zip the app you downloading and telling you that you need winzip to unzip it.
I am not sure about these much anymore, but I think you can search around to download winzip for free, or maybe try 7-zip. Someone uptodate probably could tell you if 7-zip can open winzip or not , I can't remember but I don't think it's hurt to try.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

It sounds like the ap that is used to open a win mail document
I’m a mac guy, and get unopensble winmail data attachments from time to time
Old 01-27-2021, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Long time since I've heard that name. If you need it (various non-.zip compressed files in Windows - tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2, 7z, sit, rar, etc) it is worth it, otherwise 7-Zip does all the same stuff and is Free and Open (and cross platform).

Windows has been able to handle plain .zip files (allow you to explore as a folder) for a couple of versions now.

What app were you trying to download that claims it needed WinZip?
Old 01-27-2021, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Shouldn't need to buy winzip? I think it's native to win10. Or at least some tool is for unzipping large folders.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
"WinRAR" (free) can be used instead of WinZip.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Shouldn't need to buy winzip? I think it's native to win10. Or at least some tool is for unzipping large folders.
The ability to work with zip files has been built into windows since at least Win 7 and I think Win XP.

Yep, WinZip, WinRar, WinAmp, they all kick the llamas ass.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-27-2021, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

use 7Zip. WinRAR has security issues.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
I use 7zip too. It is free.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I see you

Thanks guys, maybe it is a trojan.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 01-28-2021, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
On a Windows computer WinZip is just unnecessary. The OS can do everything WinZip does. And I can't imagine any mac using a program called Win anything. WinZip is great is you are still running Windows 95.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-28-2021, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
On a Windows computer WinZip is just unnecessary. The OS can do everything WinZip does. And I can't imagine any mac using a program called Win anything. WinZip is great is you are still running Windows 95.
^^^^^
Yep
Old 01-28-2021, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
What he said, 7zip.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
7zip is great only if you need to send very secure files. 99.99% of the files we do we only zip them to compress them. If you are sending financial files, a really secure system is nice. If it is just a batch of your vacation photos, a regular zip file is fine.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-28-2021, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Loved WinZip, Winamp... Did anyone actually ever pay for WinZip or WinRAR??

Old 01-28-2021, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
7zip. Especially if you need to send compressed files through your firewall as .zip extensions get blocked by default, and should.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Won View Post
Loved WinZip, Winamp... Did anyone actually ever pay for WinZip or WinRAR??

^THAT'S^ hilarious!
Hahahah. I don't think I ever paid for any of those sorts of software. I don't think I ever paid for any shareware.

And then there were the places that you could download cracks or registration code lists for various bits of software to get the full versions if they were time limited or had annoying pop-ups.

Winamp still seems to be out there too.

https://www.winamp.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winamp
Quote:
Winamp 5.8 (written as Winamp 5. ∞ {\displaystyle \infty } \infty ) was leaked to the general public in 2018. The Radionomy team decided to release the version themselves to maintain security levels.[12] Radionomy later announced their intention to eventually release Winamp 6.[13]
It almost makes me a little sad that I've got a Mac.

Last edited by masraum; 01-28-2021 at 11:08 AM..
Old 01-28-2021, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Hah, Winzip for MAC, IOS, and Windows is still out there too!

https://www.winzip.com/mac/en/

My old favorite (but I eventually had to switch to M$ since that's what everyone else used) is also still around.
https://www.wordperfect.com/en/
Old 01-28-2021, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
^THAT'S^ hilarious!
Hahahah. I don't think I ever paid for any of those sorts of software. I don't think I ever paid for any shareware.

And then there were the places that you could download cracks or registration code lists for various bits of software to get the full versions if they were time limited or had annoying pop-ups.

Winamp still seems to be out there too.

https://www.winamp.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winamp

It almost makes me a little sad that I've got a Mac.
I'm sure you can load Windows 98 via VMWare and Winamp away?!

Sorry for the hijack but all this talk about Winzip, etc is making me feel quite nostalgic. What about Real Player? The ability to play mp3 files as they were downloading off Napster via 56k modem was game-changing... You play the first 10 seconds, and it loops back and maybe this time you'll hear the first 15 seconds! Good times.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: