Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Front tow hook solution ?

Hi,
I'm elaborating on a front tow hook solution.
Why?
Running a factory spoiler lip on my (slightly) lowered SC, the factory loops down at the A arms are rather skid loops than being accessible for towing.
plus, being pulled at an upward angle it would bend the front lip/valance.

When doing a quick online search for "tow hook" you get the usual multi-use suspects: either the fabric ones or the rings

Has anybody come up with an elegant mounting solution for these?
Or any better?

Challange: for me to be street legal (Germany) is is NOT allowed for it to stick out!

Before I start cutting/welding and ruining my car, haha

Old 08-03-2020, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The bumper is mounted as solid as anything else, except the" tow loop", in the front of the car.
Depends if you need to pull it up on a trailer regualry or if its just if you might need to get pulled from a ditch?

If the first, you can pull it up in reverse, if the latter a bent lip is probably the least of your worries... I've bent my lip many times running over auto-x cones, you bend it back easy by hand.
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 08-03-2020, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I have these...

https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Front-Tow-Hooks-and-Tie-Downs-set-of-2-Porsche/productinfo/E03/

My car is low. I've scrapped one of the front tow hooks once on a very crappy driveway.

Would they work for you?
Old 08-03-2020, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Flo, there's a retractable toe hook that mounts in the impact shock/crush tube. However it does not fully retract. There is definitely room here for an improved design. In the hot rod world, there are hidden latches that you can depress and the flap opens, much like some modern gas tank flaps. What if there was a very small removable flap or hinged flap with the tow hook securely mounted behind?

Photo courtesy Rennline:

Instead of retracting slightly, what if it was a "Quick release" where you carry the tow hook separately and then attach it under a hidden flap?

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 08-03-2020, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
seen it but this Rennline is for slotted glass bumper with different mounting.
I want to keep my stock bumper. with this hook I can't mount it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker537 View Post
unfortunately not. I know these. they are the same in"green", no improvement to the current situation.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
What about the Rennline folding tow hook? Maybe that could be adapted?
https://zl1addons.com/products/porsche-tow-hook
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 08-03-2020, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Flo - Your stock bumper etc has the right side horizontal opening below the fender? Lets more air in to the fender well cooler? You could run a nylon strap through there. I can't see the TUeV Polezei complaining about that - the fabric isn't going to injure any pedestrian or animal or whatnot.

With some cleverness you could fix it so that only some kind of small pull tab extended, to be tugged out for a proper tow hook sized loop of nylon. You'd have also to fix it so the tab wouldn't accidentally get pushed back behind the bumper (as happened to me at a race recently - strap was there but couldn't get at it). You can find a place to attach it back inside. I have several generations of old race seat belts to provide strap material.

Another approach would be to drill a hole through the bumper in some suitable place (could be toward the middle, even). Make and attach a nut plate/reinforcement for the back side, so you aren't depending on threads in the thin (for this purpose) aluminum of the bumper. You could drill, from the back side, and tap for two small screws, or maybe even pop rivets, behind the rubber cross strip on the bumper, so they won't show, but will hold a sturdy plate in place, with a nut welded to it lined up with the main hole.

Pop in a black plastic plug. Carry the threaded hook in the car. Like all the new Porsches.

You might be able to figure out some way to attach a nylon strap in the front trunk, so the trunk could be opened, strap pulled out, hood lowered as far as it might go - might even get the safety catch to engage, and set to tow at a good height? I can't immediately think of a simple but strong attachment point in there, but whatever you came up with it would be hidden most of the time.

I used to have scars on an Unterschenkel all the time from my solid rear tow hooks on the track cars. Soft is much nicer.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have the Rennline set up on my lowered 911 and they work fine.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
Flo - Your stock bumper etc has the right side horizontal opening below the fender? Lets more air in to the fender well cooler? You could run a nylon strap through there.
yea, I have the Stadler strap here thinking I'd do just that.
Maybe.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Flo, check out Stuttgart-classica.co.uk. They have a front tow hook as well as a rear one that attaches to a handy engine jacking point.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I use this Rennline tow hook setup. I have one for the front & back.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: