Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2026
Posts: 10
Newbie

Is This Realistic?

Have a 996 Turbo with 80k miles. It's been bullet proof. Drives like new. But, just experienced the dreaded coolant leak.

Porsche shop did the diagnosis. They do these frequently as you can imagine. I guess they are going to drop the enging, replace parts, pressure test, do it right. Did a full analysis of the car. To fix the main "critical issues" which go beyond coolant issue. Tank Orings, Boolant beather line, oil line gaskets Water hose, Thermostat , Orings, water pump, water hose (water pump shot), throttle bushings, turbo gasket. etc, etc. Then there is a list of "Recommended" items.

Car ran magnificently before the coolant leak. But the "critical" issues are quoted at $10,000 - ish. Then then there's another $12k in "Recommended" stuff - camshaft work, clutch sleves, serpentine belt work, etc. etc.

Honestly, I thought with the car's Mezger running like a champ, I thought maybe $5k to $7k in tune up items might be in order. But $22k? Maybe I'm ignorant to the realities of some deferred maintenance.

I'm really interested in the group's insight and experience. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-06-2026, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Deep South
Posts: 306
Garage
By Porsche shop do you mean a dealer or an independent? When I bought my 996 last year there was some stuff to be done and I started by talking to a very well known independent in the New Orleans area. Super flakey about getting back to me and the quote was what I would expect from an actual dealer.

Went hunting around and found out there is a very highly regarded old timer a couple hours north of me. He did the work for a very reasonable price and has been a wealth of information since.

Depending on where you are at I would check what all the options are for an independent shop in your area. Don’t just go with the first place to give you a quote and definitely do some research online regarding the recommended work. There is another forum that has a lot more action regarding the 996 platform and a wealth of old threads.

Last edited by REVerend; 07-06-2026 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-06-2026, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2026
Posts: 10
I took it to a private shop.
Old 07-07-2026, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More
 
ckcarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff... And 1 billion tourists.
Posts: 13,234
Garage
I'd like to know how to locate a reliable independent and qualified shop in geographic areas, like mine as one. Or, if I traveled to Wiconsin or Chicago and had an issue. I joined PCA because I had been told there was a directory, but I can't find it.
__________________
cRaIg CaRr
2000 Dyna FXDX, 2001 Sportster Sport, 2000 R1100S,2007 R1200S,2015 rNineT,2015 Gold Wing,2023 R1250RS, 2026 S1000XR, 2017 Triumph T100, 2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2005 Jeep Sport, 2006 Porsche Carrera, 1978 Porsche 928. 2001 GMC Sierra, 22 pairs of shoes. 24 bottles of beer.
Old 07-07-2026, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,087
Honestly that sounds high to me . Have they determined specifically what is leaking ? The " while your in there " items do add up quickly .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 07-07-2026, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2026
Posts: 10
He's going to weld and then pressure test. I think he's solid.
Old 07-08-2026, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2026
Posts: 10
I haven't done any engine service except oil since 50k miles. Didn't have a need. Would have to tow it to the dealer for second opinion, which would be challenging.
Old 07-08-2026, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2026
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
I'd like to know how to locate a reliable independent and qualified shop in geographic areas, like mine as one. Or, if I traveled to Wiconsin or Chicago and had an issue. I joined PCA because I had been told there was a directory, but I can't find it.

its an indy shop

Old 07-08-2026, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:43 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.