Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
monsterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 52
1&4 bellows exhaust header question

Got the crossover pipe and
manifolds off the other day after a long and exciting two days
of nut wrangling and vise-gripping,
and noticed the 1&4 manifold has a bit of a wiggle
where the bellows are welded in -
is this normal? It sounds like there is a loose pipe
with a bit of play underneath that section - other
than that, everything looks solid as can be.

Also - which way do the new exhaust gaskets get installed -
all-metal side to block or to manifold?

Any tricks to getting the exhaust hardware in general
properly torqued? Can't figure out for the life of me how I might
get a damn torque wrench on any of those puppies.

__________________
___________________________________
1986 944 Turbo, 88k miles, Copenhagen Blue
Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 484
The bellows is there to allow the 1-4 header to expand and contract, so some "wiggle" is OK.

Exhaust gaskets go with the metal side towards the header flanges.

For the exhaust hardware I do a "2 Step" torque by hand.

Once I get ALL of the hardware installed, I snug every thing up and then I start the engine. I let the plumbing heat up enough to cause some expansion, and then I shut the engine down. I do a final "torque" while the plumbing is still hot.

__________________
Cliff Hipsher
'87 944 India Red
'86 951 Kalahari Metallic
Old 10-18-2005, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:48 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.