Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
BoxsterGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,236
MAF or MAP for a S2 w 951 turbo



Any recommendations (pro or con) on using either a MAF system or a MAP system on my 944 S2 with a 951 head & turbo system?

I can go either way as the project is just being started. I have a complete, running hi miles S2 and a complete 944 turbo wreck from which to pull parts.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Len


Old 12-11-2005, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 200
Vitesse appears to be the standard recommendation for a MAF kit. They have software for 2.8 and 3.0 liter engines as well. Lots of posts about them on Rennlist.
__________________
Stock 1988 951, TT aero wipers
Old 12-11-2005, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan...
Posts: 43
If I had to do it all over again...

If I had to do it all over again, I would use a MAP system. It appears much easier to package. No need to re-circulate the BOV into the measured air flow. The possibility of an intake leak causing a lean condition can not happen. Newer technology.
__________________
'86 951, MAF, K27, 46 tial, 3" ext
'84 Audi Coupe
'87 Audi 5000 QT (QLCC chip)
'89 Merkur Scorpio 5 speed RIP
Old 12-12-2005, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
BoxsterGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,236


Who makes a MAP conversion kit for this model?

Len

Old 12-13-2005, 01:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 617
Pretty much any stand-alone or Piggyback computer will accept a MAP sensor. I'm looking at running a MAP and an SMT6 or SMT7 on my supercharged S2 project.
__________________
1960 356 Super 90 - EFI'd
1989 190e 2.6
1991 964
Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14
Bar none MAP is best. As already said Motec, Haltech, Microtec, Link, AEM etc ALL use MAP. Its the best alternative out there, even more so for boosted cars. Link make a MAP specifically for our cars. Try www.NZEFI.com (for Link).
Old 01-07-2006, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
BoxsterGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,236
I definitely will go with a MAP system.

Does the Link system replace the Motronic ECU completely, or is it a piggyback?

I would like to keep the S2 Motronics if possible.

Thanks,

Len


Last edited by BoxsterGT; 01-07-2006 at 01:28 AM..
Old 01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Sound
Posts: 2,880
Re: If I had to do it all over again...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pb_Foot951
If I had to do it all over again, I would use a MAP system. It appears much easier to package. No need to re-circulate the BOV into the measured air flow. The possibility of an intake leak causing a lean condition can not happen. Newer technology.
MAP is newer? Wow, must've been out of this world when the 914 used it.

(I know, D-Jet is technically manifold _relative_ pressure, but I couldn't resist the joke.)

I still think I'd prefer to recirculate the BOV even with a MAP system though, it can't hurt and might actually help keep the turbo spooled a little more.
__________________
---------
Silver 1998 Volvo S70 T5 <- Daily (Anja)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by BoxsterGT
I definitely will go with a MAP system.

Does the Link system replace the Motronic ECU completely, or is it a piggyback?

I would like to keep the S2 Motronics if possible.

Thanks,

Len

The Link system is a complete standalone, so it replaces the stock ECU. By the nature of standalones thats what they do

Keeping the stock ECU will limit your functionality greatly.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14
Re: Re: If I had to do it all over again...

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
MAP is newer? Wow, must've been out of this world when the 914 used it.

(I know, D-Jet is technically manifold _relative_ pressure, but I couldn't resist the joke.)

I still think I'd prefer to recirculate the BOV even with a MAP system though, it can't hurt and might actually help keep the turbo spooled a little more.
The problem with recirculating is that the recirculating valves are smaller. If you need a very large one because of the boost running etc, then a lot of compressor surge will be experienced. otherwise
Old 01-07-2006, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Sound
Posts: 2,880
Re: Re: Re: If I had to do it all over again...

Quote:
Originally posted by SIR944
The problem with recirculating is that the recirculating valves are smaller. If you need a very large one because of the boost running etc, then a lot of compressor surge will be experienced. otherwise
Interesting, I never knew that. Thanks for the information.
__________________
---------
Silver 1998 Volvo S70 T5 <- Daily (Anja)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14
Yeah for example, the Tial BOV is 50mm.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:10 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.