|
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
I have an 86 944T and I'm in the process of heavily modifying the motor. I stripped down the block to have it hot-tanked and noticed some good size scratches in the #1 cylinder. All the rings looked fine as well as the other cylinders. I'm talked to some people and I think I've gotten a different answer every time. Some have said to just run it with new rings, some say to hone it to 100.5mm and the latest is to have the entire cylinders replaced (with a re-enforced bottom) with 104mm cylinders. One constant has been that "sleeving" is bad, espeically for high HP applications. So I'm just looking for some more opinions and input as to how this can be dealt with properly. Thanks,
-Paul
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|
|
winter-hater club member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake city, utah
Posts: 24,705
|
MID wet sleeving, baby, all the way. do a search on google.
__________________
2000 Corvette - ????, 2007 Buell XB9R - Astrid, 1996 Discovery - Piglet, 2000 Forester "COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
I just googled it and didn't find anything relevant, do you have a link or a contact?
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
Darton Sleeves.
They're a M.I.D. wet sleeve. IIRC you can go as high as 107mm, and they are iron sleeves, so you can run almost any pistons in them (like uncoated aluminum pistons....). Not too badly priced, ~$1600-$2000 installed, plus $800-$1200 for a set of over-sized custom pistons, and you can take it up to almost 3.0L all bore.... I have yet to hear of the MID sleeves leaking or shifting under high boost, and they have been used quite a lot. Some of the dry sleeves are prone to problems. With those scratches, there is no point in re-assembling as-is, because you will have low compression very soon.
__________________
2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring, GLS 5 speed, Indigo Blue Metallic. 2.0L of Korean fury! Buy my parts! |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
for the first time some of this is making sense, now I'm not familiar with the term "wet" sleeve, what exactly does that mean?
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
nevermind, don't answer that...I just talked to them
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
I am pretty sure the darton sleeve on a 2.5L will only go to 104 (106 not recommended) and the 3.0 to upto 108 but not recommended).
A mid sleeve is a fancy name for Modular Integrated Deck. It normally costs ~3K+ for pistons,machine work and rings. Wet sleeve refers to part of the sleeve actually exposed to coolant. Such as these. Dry sleeve referes to boring out the inside of the existing sleeve and pressing in a sleeve that is not in contact with coolant. Hence dry.
__________________
Alex - PCA Polar Region - Boxster Muncher 86' 944 Turbo - Megasquirt - 326 rwhp/340lbft @ 18 psi SOLD www.edmontonhomelife.com www.edmontonrealestate.ws |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
thanks for the info. it seems like all the nightmare stories I have heard (as far as sleeving is concerned) are related to heating issues. So after talking with them (and a little common sense) I'm thinking this is the best way to deal with the issue
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|
|
winter-hater club member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake city, utah
Posts: 24,705
|
there is a thread on 951forums.com with some good information and pictures. very nice stuff. plus, if you ruin one of the cylinders later on, you can replace just that one cylinder.
__________________
2000 Corvette - ????, 2007 Buell XB9R - Astrid, 1996 Discovery - Piglet, 2000 Forester "COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
Quote:
__________________
Alex - PCA Polar Region - Boxster Muncher 86' 944 Turbo - Megasquirt - 326 rwhp/340lbft @ 18 psi SOLD www.edmontonhomelife.com www.edmontonrealestate.ws |
||
|
|
|
|
winter-hater club member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake city, utah
Posts: 24,705
|
also, due to the interlocking design, the cylinders are more stable, thus you can run more boost safely. a 2.7 liter turbo would be very nice.
__________________
2000 Corvette - ????, 2007 Buell XB9R - Astrid, 1996 Discovery - Piglet, 2000 Forester "COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
When we were talking he mentioned having pushed one all the way up to 34lbs (although I don't know what kind of turbo) without failure
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|
|
|
winter-hater club member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake city, utah
Posts: 24,705
|
kee-rist... 34 pounds!?! seems like the rods would collapse, or something.
__________________
2000 Corvette - ????, 2007 Buell XB9R - Astrid, 1996 Discovery - Piglet, 2000 Forester "COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
yeah, I was suprised...I can only imagine the HP numbers on that kind of run
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naples, Italy
Posts: 135
|
Quote:
Hoping to have the block back in a couple weeks. Just going up to 104mm, stock specs in pistons etc.
__________________
Paul 1986 Black on Black Turbo - Custom 2.7L Darton MID wetsleeved block - Super-75 - etc. etc. etc. |
||
|
|
|