|
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 322
|
turbo conversion for sale...
Sorry but I'm not selling it....
There is a 944 for sale near by that I'm curious about. I talked with the guy and the story is... 1987 944S with a blown rod. The guy supposedly bought a crashed 1986 951 and swapped everything. Suspension, engine, DME, nose, whatever. Forgot to ask about the transmission. Is LSD standard on 1986 951? Claims the interior is very clean and body is straight. The clearcoat is peeling in places so It needs a paint job. The car does not run yet. Says he has too many project but only a weekend or two to make it run. I have not seen the car yet. I don't think the donor 951 is there anymore, just whatever parts he already took out. What might something like this be worth? If anything at all?
__________________
1987 944S, needs crank work 2010 Mini Cooper base |
||
|
|
|
|
Cars & Coffee Killer
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: State of Failure
Posts: 32,246
|
I, personally, would put it at $5000 running, $3000 not. Sounds like a basket case. There a probably plenty of missing odds and ends and little bits all over the place.
It would be a headache (make that migraine) for someone going into the project expecting to have a running car by the end of the summer. It could be a fun project for someone with the time and talent (and funds) to go over all of the previous owner's work. I'm sure he'll tell you there is just one little thing that needs to be done to get it running, and in his mind he is right. The problem with projects like this is there are dozens and dozens of "one little things".
__________________
Some Porsches long ago...then a wankle... 5 liters of VVT fury now -Chris "There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security." |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 322
|
could be a basket case. But the motor is installed and it sounds like most everything should be hooked up already.
Not sure why he hasn't fired it up already? He did have a complete donor car...unless he got rid of it, which is pretty stupid without first seeing that the "new" car runs.
__________________
1987 944S, needs crank work 2010 Mini Cooper base |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 322
|
hmmm, I guess not many opinions here, or just nobody really thinks this car is worth a damn....
Guess I better be real wary of this car....
__________________
1987 944S, needs crank work 2010 Mini Cooper base |
||
|
|
|
|
Cars & Coffee Killer
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: State of Failure
Posts: 32,246
|
Post some pics if you can.
I'd be wary. I've shopped for 944s twice now. The first one I bought had "a few minor things"...and that came to $16,000 in parts alone to fix them all...on a running car. The second one is "near mint", but there are about $2,000 in parts worth of things that need to be done.
__________________
Some Porsches long ago...then a wankle... 5 liters of VVT fury now -Chris "There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security." |
||
|
|
|
|
disgusted
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: the rubber city O-hi-O
Posts: 96
|
Re: turbo conversion for sale...
Quote:
__________________
Michael Manning 95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe You are not what you own! |
||
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 322
|
__________________
1987 944S, needs crank work 2010 Mini Cooper base |
||
|
|
|
|
Super Moderator
|
odie; you've already posted this on rennlist and have gotten enough replies to know you should run far away from this car;
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=276662
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!) |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 322
|
haven't been anywhere near this car.
but I am curious if anyone has actually seen this car in person? Surely someone here lives in Austin and has a hour to "burn"
__________________
1987 944S, needs crank work 2010 Mini Cooper base |
||
|
|
|