Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8
'86 944 Clutch

My dad just bought a 1986 944 and it needs a new clutch. I was looking at the ones sold by Pelican and I was hoping for some feedback. Please let me know what experiences you've had and if i should be looking at a used clutch. thanks

Old 07-28-2006, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Sound
Posts: 2,880
Why would anyone buy a used clutch? Would you buy used tires and used brake pads as well? How about used oil?

If you're looking to do the car cheaply, just sell it and buy a Camaro or a Mustang or something that can be repaired inexpensively.

Buy the later spring-centered clutch. Buy the full kit (bearings, pressure plate, etc). You're looking at about $1K in parts.
__________________
---------
Silver 1998 Volvo S70 T5 <- Daily (Anja)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
944 n/a owners love nickel-and-diming.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 07-31-2006, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally posted by nize
944 n/a owners love nickel-and-diming.


That's not true. When my 44 went in for it's clutch I bought a full Sachs clutch assembly from Pelican and had EVERYTHING aside from the flywheel replaced. I also had my tranny replaced because it's final drive was in big trouble- I replaced with a 951 tranny too, not another weak-cheapo 944 NA unit.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally posted by nize
944 n/a owners love nickel-and-diming.
yea well, how else do we save up for a 951?
__________________
My cars for sale, due to move

1986 944 turbo - For sale.
1987 944 N/A - For sale.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
sell the n/a first, before it depreciates further.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally posted by nize
sell the n/a first, before it depreciates further.
aww man, I don't have the heart to do that!

I love this car.

Plus what better am I gonna use for a daily driver that WON'T depreciate, and will get 25 mpg

Regardless I'm gonna have a car that depreciates, might as well be one that I love.
__________________
My cars for sale, due to move

1986 944 turbo - For sale.
1987 944 N/A - For sale.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
i've got an 88 audi 5000s quattro that gets 25mpg and doesn't depreciate much more than it already has. reliable, luxurious, and awd to boot!

oh, and same tranny as the 951 !
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 574
I dunno if I could stomach going from my porsche to :




I bet it's decently quick though!
__________________
My cars for sale, due to move

1986 944 turbo - For sale.
1987 944 N/A - For sale.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
plus, it can tow stuff !

__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 08-08-2006, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:45 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.