Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 88,572
Garage
What to do with the clock

My 85 Carrera clock is trying to die.

It will work on occasion if I am driving but quits when I park for very long.

I can send it in for a refurbish but I was wondering what else might be added or even replaced.




This is a clock from the Singer. I see it has a little red light and an arrow pointing at the rear of the car. Is that by chance a fan belt warning light?

The factory alternator light is pretty small and dim.
How could I wire up a very bright HEY DUMMY THE BELT IS BROKEN warning light?

I know I can get North Hollywood to put in a very bright light. How can I wire it up and not cause a problem with the alternator? I know the alternator has to have the factory bulb for it to charge.

Should I have it just come on if the voltage drops below 12 volts? Where would I even look to figure out that circuit?

I think a blinking very bright light over there would be a good idea to let me know the fan belt just broke.

__________________
Glen
50 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 419
The warning lamp on the Singer clock is for the rear spoiler.

I don't have a solution for your ALT light, maybe a different wattage bulb wouldn't affect the charge circuit.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
RETIRED
 
Joe Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: BOULDER Colorado
Posts: 39,412
Garage
I replaced mine with a head temp and a voltmeter. I have a wristwatch....
__________________
1983/3.6, backdate to long hood
2012 ML350 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
IslandHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 179
Garage
Good thread, am also curious what USEFUL thing people put in there.

I would also like to know if anyone knows where to get these things that MATCH the other gauges as well!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
RETIRED
 
Joe Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: BOULDER Colorado
Posts: 39,412
Garage
As long as it fits the hole and is functional.....who cares. IF you DO care. Spend an extra 300 and get NH or PA Speedo to match it perfectly.
__________________
1983/3.6, backdate to long hood
2012 ML350 3.0 Turbo Diesel

Last edited by Joe Bob; 01-29-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Reiver
 
Reiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 58,940
I put an air/fuel ratio gauge with sweep hand in that position.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 88,572
Garage
I thought about the Air Fuel meter and cylinder temp gauge but this is a Carrera not an airplane. I have no control of the lean rich mixture and watching the head temp is not really going to tell me a lot. I can't enrich the mixture it the temps get high.

I have a voltmeter built into the tachometer right now so I don't need two voltmeters. I installed a rear view mirror several years ago that has the outside temp and a compass. It is also auto dimming and has the three buttons for garage doors and a mount for my V1.

I have a Griffiths upgraded AC system so another vent is not really needed. I sure would not want the clock area used as a AC vent, it would freeze my hand in short order.

There really should be some useful thing to put there.
__________________
Glen
50 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man
 
Geronimo '74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,614
A picture of mrs Carrera??
Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
tobluforu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,052
Garage
Based on the cool/clean look of your dash I say either fix it, or leave it alone.
__________________
72 911
Although it is done at the moment, it will never be finished.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered
 
Hellraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 357
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Hellraiser
I bought the big red oil pressure light because I got tired of correcting
the hour each time I reconnect the battery.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
El Duderino
 
tirwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Forgotten Coast
Posts: 5,843
Garage
I was in the Bay area last week and dropped by PA Speedo to talk to them about adding a voltmeter. I was originally hoping to just buy a straight VDO voltmeter gauge to replace the clock, but they don't sell off-the-shelf VDO gauges and their recommendation was to add the voltmeter to another gauge (like the speedo). Or find another oil temp/pressure gauge and they could repurpose it to something like Joe Bob said -- CHT and voltmeter combo. I ended up just getting the clock fixed for now. I spent too much money up the road at Elephant Racing!
__________________
There are those who call me... Tim
'83 911 SC 3.0 coupe (NA)

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
 
GH85Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 88,572
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
I bought the big red oil pressure light because I got tired of correcting
the hour each time I reconnect the battery.
Where did you get it and how is it hooked up?
__________________
Glen
50 Year member of the Porsche Club of America
1985 911 Carrera; 2017 Macan
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
onboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MD/DC/VA
Posts: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I have a voltmeter built into the tachometer right now so I don't need two voltmeters. I installed a rear view mirror several years ago that has the outside temp and a compass. It is also auto dimming and has the three buttons for garage doors and a mount for my V1.

I have a Griffiths upgraded AC system so another vent is not really needed. I sure would not want the clock area used as a AC vent, it would freeze my hand in short order.

There really should be some useful thing to put there.
Can we see a complete shot of your dash.. it looks very nice from the pic posted.

Thx
__________________
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,513
Send a message via AIM to prebordao Send a message via Yahoo to prebordao Send a message via Skype™ to prebordao
Additional air vent (this one is from a F150 and fits perfectly).
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic
 
ClickClickBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boulder Creek CA
Posts: 3,450
Garage
Outside Air Temp,


__________________
1984 Carrera El Chupacabra
1974 Toyota FJ40 Turbo Diesel
"Easy, easy, this car is just the right amount of chitty"
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
El Duderino
 
tirwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Forgotten Coast
Posts: 5,843
Garage
Quote:
Additional air vent (this one is from a F150 and fits perfectly).

That's a great idea. I wish Pelican had a feature to bookmark a specific post like this where you could come back to it later.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
El Duderino
 
tirwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Forgotten Coast
Posts: 5,843
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
Outside Air Temp,



I like the voltmeter integrated in the tach!
__________________
There are those who call me... Tim
'83 911 SC 3.0 coupe (NA)

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered
 
Roger 911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 862
Garage
Is the '85 clock an electro-mechanical clock like in the earlier 911s? I recently fixed the clock in my '72 by removing the cover on the back and cleaning it out with a can of compressed air (not the whole can!). There was a big piece of lint stuck in the gears too. Has been working fine for a couple months now.

Roger
__________________
'72 911 3.2
'18 Mustang Eco PP
'17 Mustang GT Conv
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic
 
ClickClickBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boulder Creek CA
Posts: 3,450
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
I like the voltmeter integrated in the tach!
Hollywood Speedo did the vmeter, they do awesome work, been using them for years. 5 star recommendation.
__________________
1984 Carrera El Chupacabra
1974 Toyota FJ40 Turbo Diesel
"Easy, easy, this car is just the right amount of chitty"
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC. Canada
Posts: 154
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
That's a great idea. I wish Pelican had a feature to bookmark a specific post like this where you could come back to it later.
There is a way: right click on Permalink at bottom of post click copy shortcut, then save create new shortcut, then edit the shortcut by right clicking on it and selecting properties. Paste the permalink in the URL , apply!

__________________
Alex

____________________
1977 Porsche 911S (Daily driver)
1972 Porsche 914-6 GT Clone (Project)
Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:54 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.