View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
One of the quirks of the 1973.5T/CIS model is that the fuel pump in mounted in the rear wheel well and despite the claim that the pump has a check valve, every time you restart the car you have to draw the fuel back quite a ways to get it started. Listening to the engine when starting (without hand throttle and car warmed up) you can hear the cylinders slowly charge and eventually start. It can be a slow and frustrating process.

I was advised that the way to remedy this is to mount the fuel pump forward behind the tank to push the fuel rather then pull the fuel for quicker starts. Very little fuel drains back into the tank with this new configuration.

It would not appear to be difficult to perform, aside from fabricating a mount in the area of the pedal cluster or master brake cylinder. A new fuel hose would have to added and the fuse link identified. The fuel pump on the 1973.5T does NOT have a relay associated with the pump. I believe power is drawn from fuse 7 or 9.

I have to ask, if anyone has anyone performed this operation and just how successful it has been.

Thanks

Bob
73.5T
Yes, I had that change made on my 73.5T. Actually, it was done by a PO and I modified it a bit when a new pump was needed. Since there was no bracket on the front cross bar, one was fabricated along with some padding for vibration dampening, and new hoses to connect it all together. Nothing too difficult. I no longer have the car so I cannot give more detail except to say it was an improvement and was easier on the pump.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)