Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Moving the fuel pump forward near the gas tank

One of the quirks of the 1973.5T/CIS model is that the fuel pump in mounted in the rear wheel well and despite the claim that the pump has a check valve, every time you restart the car you have to draw the fuel back quite a ways to get it started. Listening to the engine when starting (without hand throttle and car warmed up) you can hear the cylinders slowly charge and eventually start. It can be a slow and frustrating process.

I was advised that the way to remedy this is to mount the fuel pump forward behind the tank to push the fuel rather then pull the fuel for quicker starts. Very little fuel drains back into the tank with this new configuration.

It would not appear to be difficult to perform, aside from fabricating a mount in the area of the pedal cluster or master brake cylinder. A new fuel hose would have to added and the fuse link identified. The fuel pump on the 1973.5T does NOT have a relay associated with the pump. I believe power is drawn from fuse 7 or 9.

I have to ask, if anyone has anyone performed this operation and just how successful it has been.

Thanks

Bob
73.5T
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
One of the quirks of the 1973.5T/CIS model is that the fuel pump in mounted in the rear wheel well and despite the claim that the pump has a check valve, every time you restart the car you have to draw the fuel back quite a ways to get it started. Listening to the engine when starting (without hand throttle and car warmed up) you can hear the cylinders slowly charge and eventually start. It can be a slow and frustrating process.

I was advised that the way to remedy this is to mount the fuel pump forward behind the tank to push the fuel rather then pull the fuel for quicker starts. Very little fuel drains back into the tank with this new configuration.

It would not appear to be difficult to perform, aside from fabricating a mount in the area of the pedal cluster or master brake cylinder. A new fuel hose would have to added and the fuse link identified. The fuel pump on the 1973.5T does NOT have a relay associated with the pump. I believe power is drawn from fuse 7 or 9.

I have to ask, if anyone has anyone performed this operation and just how successful it has been.

Thanks

Bob
73.5T
Yes, I had that change made on my 73.5T. Actually, it was done by a PO and I modified it a bit when a new pump was needed. Since there was no bracket on the front cross bar, one was fabricated along with some padding for vibration dampening, and new hoses to connect it all together. Nothing too difficult. I no longer have the car so I cannot give more detail except to say it was an improvement and was easier on the pump.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 10-29-2018, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Would it be possible to fit it where it is mounted on slightly later cars such as SCs ie on the front cross member? You could then use existing parts.

Ian
Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Not sure where it would be mounted or shielded. but I suspect under the removable panel that protects the pedal cluster, brake master cylinder, etc. near the tank. This model (1975.5T) was the only one with this configuration for the CIS system. It was changed on the 1974 model going forward. Further, no relay is present for the fuel pump on this model. The 1973.5T is an interesting car (no fuel pump relay, no thermotime switch, hand throttle, no adjust WUR, etc).
Old 10-29-2018, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

So, right now, you have no circuit to shut off the fuel pump if you're in an accident and incapacitated?

1973 E Targa
Old 10-29-2018, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Here are some past discussions on this topic:

Relocating fuel pump up front with steel cross member.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
This model (1975.5T) was the only one with this configuration for the CIS system. It was changed on the 1974 model going forward. Further, no relay is present for the fuel pump on this model. The 1973.5T is an interesting car (no fuel pump relay, no thermotime switch, hand throttle, no adjust WUR, etc).
My 75 has this exact same setup. So at least 3 Model Years. Starting in 76 they are mounted in the front.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 10-30-2018, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I make up a front pump mount for the early cars.......

This also has a Dansk Tank that I have supplied a Pre-Filter for to protect the new fuel pump.

For info, please email me. Len dot Cummings at verizon dot net

Old 11-02-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Easiest/possibly best way is to replicate the design used on the SC cars. As mentioned earlier, you can use all original parts. All you would have to do is drill a couple of holes in the rear side of the crossmember. And, it is shielded there by the front cover.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
How do you power the fuel pump now that it is located up front? I pulled my tank today and plan on getting new fuel lines from Len after the holidays

Thanks

David
Old 12-14-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: