View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Having the timing belt (and hopefully the water pump) replaced is good. However, there are a bevy of fuel and power steering hoses that are rubber that also need replacing. If these haven't been changed, it will be $1K in parts alone to replace them all. If you don't do the work yourself, it will cost quite a bit to replace them as they are very time consuming, which = big $$$ if you're hiring it done. And you don't want to skimp with not replacing them as 1 split in a hose and you have Car-B-Q.

An 86 is a somewhat valuable yr. Don't quote me on exact #s, but Porsche started the model yr by selling something like 1K, then switched to the 86.5 which had many improvements. So the 86 isn't as good of a car compared to the 86.5, but there aren't a lot of them. The 86.5 is a better car but there are fewer of them than other yrs like the 87. So regardless of which 86 it is, it has good value for a 928. Not significantly bigger (like a GTS vs an S4), but a tad more.

928s are still expensive to own, but there's a lot of venders who sell parts. They're still a futtsy car with many electronic issues, but there's a very knowledgeable and experienced group of support people available. If you have a problem, chances are very good someone will have a soln. I knew next to nothing about 928s when I bought my S4 last Nov. It hadn't run for at least 7 yrs. With the help of the 928 community, I got mine running and many of the issues addressed. It wasn't always easy, but its been a great experience.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - winter project

Last edited by husker boxster; 10-12-2020 at 06:47 AM..
Old 10-12-2020, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)