Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Help a fellow 911 owner to choose a 928 to buy

Hi guys,

I found what looks to be a nice '86 928S and thinking of buying it to add it to my 911 stable, I once owned a '90 S4 25 years ago and it was good except for the VERY expensive spare parts from the parts dealer locally, added to being a not a very reliable car. back to the present, I found this car which is running and driving but with no service history except the last owner replaced the timing belt. What are things that I need to look for? is a '86 is a good year for the 928? how reliable the engine/drivetrain is compared to a G body 911?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaro View Post
Hi guys,

I found what looks to be a nice '86 928S and thinking of buying it to add it to my 911 stable, I once owned a '90 S4 25 years ago and it was good except for the VERY expensive spare parts from the parts dealer locally, added to being a not a very reliable car. back to the present, I found this car which is running and driving but with no service history except the last owner replaced the timing belt. What are things that I need to look for? is a '86 is a good year for the 928? how reliable the engine/drivetrain is compared to a G body 911?

Thanks in advance.
I bought my 86 928 that had 37,800 miles on it. The car sat for many years. It was a one owner. Any car that sits a long time is going to need some attention. I suggest you read up on all the service comments people have made on this site. There is a wealth of information here on Pelican. Most of your questions have been answered by members here.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 10-12-2020, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Having the timing belt (and hopefully the water pump) replaced is good. However, there are a bevy of fuel and power steering hoses that are rubber that also need replacing. If these haven't been changed, it will be $1K in parts alone to replace them all. If you don't do the work yourself, it will cost quite a bit to replace them as they are very time consuming, which = big $$$ if you're hiring it done. And you don't want to skimp with not replacing them as 1 split in a hose and you have Car-B-Q.

An 86 is a somewhat valuable yr. Don't quote me on exact #s, but Porsche started the model yr by selling something like 1K, then switched to the 86.5 which had many improvements. So the 86 isn't as good of a car compared to the 86.5, but there aren't a lot of them. The 86.5 is a better car but there are fewer of them than other yrs like the 87. So regardless of which 86 it is, it has good value for a 928. Not significantly bigger (like a GTS vs an S4), but a tad more.

928s are still expensive to own, but there's a lot of venders who sell parts. They're still a futtsy car with many electronic issues, but there's a very knowledgeable and experienced group of support people available. If you have a problem, chances are very good someone will have a soln. I knew next to nothing about 928s when I bought my S4 last Nov. It hadn't run for at least 7 yrs. With the help of the 928 community, I got mine running and many of the issues addressed. It wasn't always easy, but its been a great experience.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - winter project

Last edited by husker boxster; 10-12-2020 at 06:47 AM..
Old 10-12-2020, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you are unable to work on your 928 it will cost you many $$$$. Also, finding a good 928 mechanic in your area. Not knowing the history of the car is another issue. What has or has not been done? Like I mentioned before, these is a list of things one should do. Clean grounds, change fuel lines, hoses, belts, clean CE panel fuses and relays. To name a few. Many of the common issues are posted here.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Shake-Out Inspection

Hey Kamaro - I've owned several 16 and 32 valve model 928's in various stages of repair over the years and as reported by many other owners - the primary purchasing guide or rule of thumb is to " Buy One In The Very Best Condition You Can Afford". There is no such thing as an inexpensive 928 in poor condition.

My typical selection is one that is in reasonably nice shape but has been Dead in the Water for a while. Luckily my wife has a good sense of humor when it comes to my project-mobiles because it sometimes takes me almost a year before they are reliable enough for a long distance road trip. Our favorite 928 to date has been "Miss Purdy" who has taken us from coast to coast many times in the summer heat and can keep up with any of the latest performance cars on interstate all day long.

Do some research on the Porsche sites before falling in love with a particular car and have a Porsche mechanic who is familiar with all the 928 quirks thoroughly go over her before making your purchase. Then be prepared for the typical questions from across the gas pumps asking "What Model New Porsche Is That Thing ?".

Good Luck - Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"
Old 10-12-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks to all for all the valuable info, that's why I love you guys! .. I own 2 air cooled 911s and I do ALL the work on them myself, including engine rebuild, swap, electricals .. etc, so I know a thing or two about the 911s, but for me this is the first experience with a front-engined, water cooled Porsche, and if its on the same level as far as maintenance/reliability goes, then I must be in a good situation. The only issue here is the one that I want to buy is far from me (its in US and I'm in Qatar) so I need to rely on someone to get it inspected for me.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: