View Single Post

I agree, some of the citrus based cleaners attack aluminum so be careful. Don't leave the AL parts sitting around with the 100% citrus solution on them. The new mega bucks parts cleaner my head machinis got uses citrus cleaner but the strenght is way down...maybe this makes the stuff safer. I used the Castrol super clean when I did my parts cleaning but was careful to wash off fairly quickly. I would see if you can find a parts cleaner to "borrow" will save a lot of time. I didn't try water blasting....but I can't think of a problem with it....some guys just now taking a 3.2 apart are using water blasting to get the first few inches thick of grime off. I would be careful around rubber or plastic parts and around the oil cooler or any place that has thin sheet metal also be careful that you don't blow water past seals....e.g. cam tensioner seals on the chain covers....there could be a few other places like that. If the parts are already apart then seems like water blast should be fine. For gasket residue I used Permatex gasket remover..works great and avoids gouging the surfaces. That's my 2 cents on that.
-h
Old 07-11-2005, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)