View Single Post
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Moochie it's been a while since I had my A/C in place, but I do recall unbolting the compressor to r&r the air filter. Not a big deal to do. Only three bolts (best I recall) separate the lower bracket from the plate bolted to the underside of the compressor. Two bolts were under the pulley at the rear, and one bolt on the right at the front of the compressor. All three bolts were in adjusting slots. The bolt (threaded stud) at the right rear adjusts the belt tension, you don't need to loosen this.

The metal reinforcement on the stock filter stops the paper element from being sucked into the engine if the filter becomes dirty and restrictive (virtually plugged). Your K&N most likely has a fine wire mesh for a similar safeguard.

I recall a test K&N did to validate their product. It displayed that the K&N is less restrictive when both filters were clean, but eventually more restrictive when an equal amount of dirt built up on each filter. This applied to daily driver type mileage, not weekend use 930 miles.

86 the old filter!

Jim
79 930
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)