View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"
Progress and Setback today with the Project 959 (Monday Oct 22nd)...

Okay, so today, I was determined to finish up the door panels, and complete that project for good. Two things - I couldn't find any good hardware to use on the door panels, so I had to use the old hardware store crap that was placed on there from the painters who painted the car. Odd, but the hardware on the left doesn't even come close to matching the right. Also, the door pocket hinge on the right is secured with two screws, and the one on the left is only secured with one screw. There is only one hole on the right, which makes me think that this is a factory error. Seeing all of these inconsistencies makes me think that maybe the painters weren't all that bad after all, but maybe the cars were assembled more "prototype-like" than I though, using different hardware and different procedures depending upon what day it was on the assembly floor. I've heard that these cars were assembled not by Porsche, but by the Baur coachworks, so who knows.

Anyways, I have ordered all of the correct hardware from Porsche, and I will replace all of the odd screws and washers from both the left and the right door panels with the proper brand new stuff from Porsche. This new stuff is probably mass-produced in China these days, but at least it will be "correct" as per original Porsche specifications. The parts diagrams also call for a moisture barrier in there - I saw no evidence that there was ever one in there, and also a grommet for the window switches (didn't see that either). I have ordered three of these, and will install them next time the door panel comes off.

So anyways, I have to wait for a this new hardware to come in before I can "close out" the door panels and door refurb projects. On a good note, the door locks now work perfectly, and I ordered the last remaining 959 door lock button from Germany - should be here in a day or so - the white lettering on mine is slightly worn out. Just for your own information, here's the check list on the doors:

- Lock cylinder locks and unlocks - CHECK
- Electronic doors lock when key is turned - CHECK
- Microswitch for electronic locks works - CHECK
- All windows and window switches work - CHECK
- Mirrors for both sides work, and I replaced the missing mushroom cap - CHECK
- Moisture barrier installed - CHECK
- Door opens and closes smoothly - CHECK
- Door pockets snap open and closed well - CHECK
- Door speakers have been replaced and work well - CHECK
- Window switch retainers have been replaced with upgraded Stainless steel ones - CHECK
- Door stay functions properly (wasn't really a problem) - CHECK
- Inside door handle is operational and functional - CHECK
- Door pockets secured with proper hardware - PENDING
- Door light switches functional and tested - CHECK
- Door lock rods and mechanism lubed and tested - CHECk
- Door seal inspected and good - CHECK
- All hardware checked and replaced if missing - CHECK

So, when the new hardware comes in a few days, we'll be able to complete the door projects and check them off completely.

I found a much better license plate blank frame while cleaning out my garage last night - got it at the literature meet a few years ago:

Wayne R. Dempsey, Founder, Pelican Parts Inc., and Author of:
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming Soon:
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)