View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
OK, So I am searching around for a AFR gauge for my 91' Turbo. I know Blown Six has a nice one and so on...
I also know I can buy just a gauge for around $100 bucks that splices into my O2 sensor and gives a digital readout or....I can buy this "kit" that comes with a Bosch "wideband" O2 sensor and yada, yada for $300-ish

1) Do I need a wideband? Or can I just splice into my current O2 Sensor for a reading? (I am assuming it's narrowband)

2) If I do need a "wideband" gauge, will the "wideband" Bosch O2 Sensor they supply take the place of my current O2 sensor and work with my car?

3) What is the difference between wideband and narrowband!! I am so confused
Hi,
Hope I can help you out a little here. I'll tell you what I "know" about it?

Narrowband is very fast to react, but only accurate at Stoichiometric mixtures around 14.7. So as soon as you get away from 14.7 or so, you can't rely on the number. Wideband is slower to show change but accurate over a wider "band" or range. So if you are trying to control injectors, you want fast response, if you are trying to tune or see what your AFR's are, you want a sensor that will give an accurate number, but may respond a little slower.

I've "heard" Bosch makes the best sensors. That's what the Innovate uses for their wideband kit, and that's what I have on my car for the EFI.

If you want a sensor to tune with, there is no arguement here, you want a wideband. Most likely the one controlling your car is narrowband.

Also, if you splice into the existing sensor, I "think" it would lower the output to the ECU and cause your car to be mis-tuned possibly. I would leave the factory unit alone and place a new "BUNG" for a wideband and mount a gauge in the cockpit.

At least this is my opinion...

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)