View Single Post

Garage
930 value and values (Just a RANT)...

Come on guys.

I've just read the post 'looked at a 930 yesterday...confused'

Financial crises or not, Porsche 930's are genuine supercars. Works of art to some and examples of the ultimate in automotive engineering for its time to others. They represented the very best that Porsche could offer at the time. When introduced the 930 elevated Porsches status from sports to supercar manufacturer. Racing drivers, royalty and the rich and famous flocked to buy one. I caught a glimse of one in 1977 at age 7 and fell in love. I saved and saved and eventually could afford the Athena poster which took pride of place on my bedroom wall amongst the many press clippings which raved about the awesome 930 Turbo. As bedroom art goes, this car can surely be second only to the famous tennis girl scratching her behind.
In terms of useable real world performance and reliability, it showed the World how it should be done and taught the Italians especially, that it takes more than just reprinting a brochure with higher figures to keep ahead. Not that it makes much difference but the 930 was remember deemed the fastest production car in the world for a time and remained, without any major changes, the car all other supercars were judged against for most of its fifteen year production span.
In fact, Porsches glorious racing and engineering reputation, the reputation which draws all owners together into a proud family, the reputation that backs up your bar room arguments against Ferrari etc. and the reputation that causes people you've never met to come up to you and start conversations, wouldn't be half what it is today without the 930, the 930 engine or the 934's and 935's. Their long term consistency solidified that reputation where even today with no major racing program, people still revere our marque. British manufacturer Lotus won the World F1 championship on several occasions but today many just laugh and say Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious when that marque is mentioned.
So why are 930's now so overlooked and undervalued against other exotica of the era and especially against the 2.4S's and 2.7RS's of this world. Now I know these are nice cars but, the RS's ability aside, its sheer rarity and years of magazines plagiarizing each others articles dictating to the uninformed public what is best, coupled with the interests of the influential owners in the classic car heirachy with much money invested, have ensured the reputation and high value of RS's until gasoline engines are no more. Any good 2.4 is now getting rarer. The 'S' especially, and is now looked upon as the next best thing to an RS. Add to this its historic racing eligability and the prices are going through the roof.
You'll struggle to find a good one here in the U.K. for less than 40,000 if not 50,000 ($57,000/$71,000U.S). It's not even worth mentioning the prices of RS's as they are on another level all together.
Why is it then that many 930 owners seem almost apologetic if not angered by a price that appears high. Take a 3.2 Carrera, change the bumpers/fenders, tweek the suspension a bit, wack on a duck tail and Carrera RS decal down the side and you can sell it here in the U.K. for 40,000 ($57,000). Why can't a low milage, clean and tidy genuine 930 be for sale at $60,000. Are we the Lepor of the marque? The cars that the 930 nailed when it was around haven't magicaly got any better, yet an Aston V8 is around the 100,000 mark and climbing. The Italians were and still are made of monkey metal. I recently had a chance to see a 550 Maranelo taken to pieces and couldn't believe the shabby paint job, the state of the engine castings or the poor quality of the interior and Fiat switchgear. My 930 came apart, cleaned up and went back together again ready for another 50000+ miles but, it didn't really need any of the work. Three or four broken head studs but still running, oh and while it's apart lets just change the valve guides to be safe and oh maybe tweek it a bit and add 50% more power. You know how it goes. All this and the car is almost thirty years old. Thats quality.
British magazine Classic and Sports Car recently mentioned Lamborghini prices with suggestions on current values. They were inundated with letters from disgruntled Lambo owners angry at how they dared devalue their cherished classics to the point where they had to take it all back in an editorial and run another feature with updated values. Did you know that an early LP400 Countach is now at least 200,000.00 ($280,000.00 US). Even one of the weird winged late 80's ones will set you back around the 80,000.00 mark ($112,000.00 US). Gullwing door gimmic aside they had a square cardboard box as a dashboard, but the Lambo owners love them and jolly well stick together because they have pride and know what they own is a piece of automotive legend. Don't we too?
As for the credit crises, classic car values are on the up. People are investing their money in quality, ability and solid reputation because very few trust banks right now. Their certainly not earning anything in interest thats for sure.
I don't know quite what it is I'm trying to say here. I'm certainly not advocating a situation like that of the late 80's and early 90's. But, if prices are rising why should we be ashamed to benefit a little, after all, we own one of the best cars ever made, and we bought them before we were told to. We've been the ugly duckling for far too long. Lets stick together like the Lambo guys and put our cars in their rightful place in the grand scheme of things. There is more to life than just an RS.
Maybe I should have bought the tennis girl....

As I mentioned, this is just my ranting. I'm probably having a bad day, but they are my opinions for today and certainly not intended to offend anyone, that is if anyone can actually make any sense of them.

Love your cars.

Robert.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)