View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Granted it is much easier with a "stubby" 13mm combo wrench, but I've done it on my 2.0L (1.7L may be more difficult) with a standard length wrench. Loosen it up, then with the finger tips of both hands unscrew the nut the rest of the way. Remove the nut and wavey washer. Clean. Pull the dizzy out.

Reason I go through all this hoobaby-jub bussiness? This way I don't need to be on DTC, I don't have to worry about lining things up (the offset lines things up for me), and when I re-install I don't need to re-time the motor. Although there is some play, I always turn the distributor to the right (or left, if you prefer) until this "play" is taken up and re-tighten the 13mm nut. Checking the timing is, of course, a good idea (especially if you are replacing the points), but the motor will at least be very close.

I see your point though DD. If you are pulling the dizzy, generally it is for some reason (i.e. new points) that wil require a timing adjustment when it is re-installed. In my case I'm usally pulling it to get at the tin-ware, the oil sender, the....
Old 12-15-1999, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)