View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there,
I did my own rears about a year ago, big job & tedious, but not really that difficult. Patiance trying yes, cramped space yes, hard to get at inner race yes, but all in all doable.

Heating up the trailing arm a fair amount, but not too much, helps in extracting the bearing races. Trying to press them out cold & dry, would have been rather difficult. As with most things in life, a little heat & lube goes a long way.

F.Y.I., last I checked the S.I.R. tool is only intended for single rear bearing 911's it is not completely correct for the 1976-1989 double bearing 930 trailing arms. I'm told you can get it to work, but it's not a slam dunk affair. Maybe however, they have a newer model available that isn't shown on their web site???

I opted to make my own puller, and I inserted the new races, via a soft brass drift & some patiance and some heat & lube, worked out just fine.

Yes, the stub axle nut gets torqued to 200+ Ft. Lbs. I forget the exact #, but it's listed in the shop manuals.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 07-18-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)