View Single Post
Time Traveller

Garage
That dirty, dirty wheel

Hi folks,

Yuck. I got in from a little ride yesterday scrubbing in my new tires, and found that something has taken a dump on my rear wheel:

I did not notice anything when I stopped for gas or slightly later for lunch (this was after about 120 miles of riding, and I was checking the tires for any obvious problems) and then another 140 miles on roads varying from nicely twisty (Wynola Rd, Banner Grade, Palomar, Lilac Rd, Couser Canyon, if you know the area) to the interstate home, with a fillup before hitting the garage.

The bike is an '01 11S, I've had it for about a year and a half, and it's currently at 19.5k mi. I hate to admit I last washed it a month ago at 18.3k, just after doing the 18k service (and I did not notice any leaks or crud buildup at the time). I just replaced tires last week, and this was the first ride on the new rubber. Rear wheel was quite stuck, and took some force to get off. There is a bit off schmutz on the swingarm at the boot which I believe is new, too, but don't quote me on that, as it looks like it may have been there a while:

From looking at various threads on FD leaks on the forum, is this truly one of the signs that the pinion seal may be leaking?

I have not checked the drive oil as yet (fine at 18k), but there does not appear to be any lateral play in the wheel or swingarm, so I think the bearings are fine. With the wheel off, there is a greasy buildup on the inside side of the FD, particularly on the lower half, but nothing obviously weeping, and I do not have oily puddles on the garage floor. Is this a normal situation?

Interestingly, the grime on the wheel itself does not feel oily - more like a dried residue. This makes me think that maybe this could be dried up overflow from the gas tank? Why have I not seen this before if that is so? And why so much?

Since I am a relative newbie to maintaining my Bavarian donkey, I'm hoping that you guys can help me out with some sage advice here, or at least a minimum of ridicule...

Cheers,

Tim
Old 09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)