Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Time Traveller

Garage
That dirty, dirty wheel

Hi folks,

Yuck. I got in from a little ride yesterday scrubbing in my new tires, and found that something has taken a dump on my rear wheel:

I did not notice anything when I stopped for gas or slightly later for lunch (this was after about 120 miles of riding, and I was checking the tires for any obvious problems) and then another 140 miles on roads varying from nicely twisty (Wynola Rd, Banner Grade, Palomar, Lilac Rd, Couser Canyon, if you know the area) to the interstate home, with a fillup before hitting the garage.

The bike is an '01 11S, I've had it for about a year and a half, and it's currently at 19.5k mi. I hate to admit I last washed it a month ago at 18.3k, just after doing the 18k service (and I did not notice any leaks or crud buildup at the time). I just replaced tires last week, and this was the first ride on the new rubber. Rear wheel was quite stuck, and took some force to get off. There is a bit off schmutz on the swingarm at the boot which I believe is new, too, but don't quote me on that, as it looks like it may have been there a while:

From looking at various threads on FD leaks on the forum, is this truly one of the signs that the pinion seal may be leaking?

I have not checked the drive oil as yet (fine at 18k), but there does not appear to be any lateral play in the wheel or swingarm, so I think the bearings are fine. With the wheel off, there is a greasy buildup on the inside side of the FD, particularly on the lower half, but nothing obviously weeping, and I do not have oily puddles on the garage floor. Is this a normal situation?

Interestingly, the grime on the wheel itself does not feel oily - more like a dried residue. This makes me think that maybe this could be dried up overflow from the gas tank? Why have I not seen this before if that is so? And why so much?

Since I am a relative newbie to maintaining my Bavarian donkey, I'm hoping that you guys can help me out with some sage advice here, or at least a minimum of ridicule...

Cheers,

Tim
Old 09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Dismembered

Picture#2 doesn't look like much of a leak to me, but in picture#1 I see rust or some other discoloration on your rear brake disk. Did you blow a real caliper seal?
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did it take that much weight to balance that wheel????

I'd clean it off the rim real good and go for a run in the dry and then take a look. Make sure you are topped up to the bottom threads on the fill hole before you leave. Come back and drain the hot fluid and reload. Look for any metal on the fluid you drain. Fill the FD with Redline Shock proof Heavy and go for a run and if you see red, you've got a seal problem.

Check rear brake reservoir

Last edited by Guest24; 09-22-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRoad? View Post
Picture#2 doesn't look like much of a leak to me, but in picture#1 I see rust or some other discoloration on your rear brake disk. Did you blow a real caliper seal?
I'm with you, there are traces of liquid right under the caliper on the first pic. Second pic is _not_ indicative of any leakage and looks completely normal.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered Nut

Garage
"Did it take that much weight to balance that wheel????"

No kidding! Someone should of spun that tire on the rim to minimize that weight.

And yes i would check that rear reservoir. Could just be brake dust if you ran thru some rain?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've never seen a Michelin take that much weight. Clean the wheel and give it another run.

Last edited by Guest24; 09-23-2011 at 05:14 AM..
Old 09-22-2011, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail24 View Post
I've never seen a Michelin take that mush weight. Clean the wheel and give it another run.
Most Michelins I have had didn't need any weights, so imagine the surprise I had when my latest rear (PR3) required 40 grams. Same set, front tire, no weights required. I guess sometimes you get a weirdo.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Time Traveller

Garage
Weighty matters

As smooth a hijack of the thread as I've ever seen! Thanks Bubba, for at least addressing my original question. Well, and thanks all for your comments.

I agree it looks like a lot a weight, and I wondered about it myself. This was done at a local shop, since I don't have the technology. On the other hand, the previous Michelin on the back was also weighty, though I don't think it was 70g worth.

To my original question, all fluids (brake and FD) are fine, exactly as I left them at 18k service. The rotor is not at all rusty, though I agree in pic #2 it seems to have picked up some color; the brake pads are wearing evenly, and look good. There is a bit of fluid marking on the caliper mount like the wheels as can be seen in the photo.

Drew, I also had the thought about running through rain and brake dust, but as we all know, it never rains in southern California. It was foggy out, but it was clearing as I left the house. I also did not do any creek crossings, much as I might want a GS.

Having ruled out other things, Bubba's suggestion seems best, and I'll wash it off and see what happens this weekend. Maybe a badger hosed down my rear wheel while I was lunching at the Julian Cafe. No se.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: