View Single Post
Banned

Steve, based on the picture of your car's smuggler's box, it looks like your car was not equipped with factory a/c. For starters, I'll identify various factory a/c things in the Griff picture -

1 = the primary evaporator intake cutout - a large, shallow plastic intake spout goes there, attached to the footwell wall on the passenger side, and protrudes into the intake opening in the actual evaporator box. Also, the fan resistor pack is attached to the spout.

2 = the evaporator condensation drain spout sticks through that hole - the spout is part of the evaporator box.

3 = the secondary evaporator box air intake which picks air up from the driver footwell area (sort of in the center, though). The evaporator box has a circle opening in it and simply sits on that opening and is sealed with a foam insulation ring. I don't know if early 911s had this, though.

4 = that duct is connected to the evaporator fan discharge spout and branches off to the dash a/c ducting (aka - cold air enters the cabin through there). Your car looks to have this in place.

It's hard to understand why your car would have had a front condenser since it doesn't appear that smuggler's box was ever set-up for a/c. Does your car have the a/c thermostat and fan speed knobs in the in the shifter column? What about any a/c related fuses in the front fuse panel?

I can't tell what the non-connected wires in your picture are for - one might be the power and ground connection for an evaporator fan and the other might be for the a/c system relay (the connector sort of looks too small for that, though).

I don't know if the earliest 911s with factor air had the front condenser blower fan, but I'm pretty sure they did by 1981. That little nose condenser is almost useless without a fan to blow air over it.

All of the factory evaporator box bottoms through 1989 are the same (that is the area that houses the evaporator core), the removable top portion (houses the fan and fan motor) is different starting in 1986 . . . either top can be used on the same bottom, however the fan blades and motors are different.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 12-05-2014 at 02:49 PM..
Old 12-05-2014, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)