View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamKaz View Post
Hello fellow Pelicanites! I've lurked here for years as I saved up the funds and courage to buy my dream Porsche - a 3.2 Carrera Coupe - and backdate it to a Grand Prix White/Mexico Blue RS 2.7 (hardly original, I know, but the heart wants what it wants). Well I bought a heap of a car from Florida the other month and am starting my restoration and backdate!

During this process, I have to provide monthly updates to FactoryTwoFour along with some funny storytelling. My thought is, as long as I'm going to be recording every step anyway I might as well post weekly updates/questions/inappropriate language here as well so I have a master record of the build I can (hopefully) look back fondly on. My Pelican posts will be much more detailed and technical, while the F24 posts will be more of the general story of the rebuild.

I bought the car in October, didn't receive it until November, and finally got it registered and legal here in Los Angeles in Dec. Now the fun begins. I've spent a lot of time determining the overarching build order and this is what I've come up with:

Rebuild/Upgrade the suspension
Rebuild/Upgrade the brakes
Rebuild/Upgrade the drivetrain
Disassemble the car and remove engine
Send empty shell for bodywork (small amount of rust, a floor pan repair)
Refresh the engine with new gaskets/hoses and a new exhaust system
Paint the shell
Replace engine/components in newly painted shell
Install a completely new interior
Final assembly and fitment of trim/lights/etc.

Any thoughts here? Anything here that is just plain dumb?

You can read some background and about how I bought the car here on the first F24 post here: We bought a Porsche to rebuild! - FactoryTwoFour
and I'll be sharing all my wheel/suspension choices here later this week!

Happy to answer any questions or receive any insults.

Cheers!
I'm also in LA and happy to share tips. I did a red 85 (partial) backdate 4 years ago and it was documented in the "Carrera Backdate" thread. Net cost was under $4K, but did not include a color change. I also left the nasty big mirrors and black trim, as that would have bumped my spend another $3K or so. I did not backdate the interior, but there are a couple ways to go there... ping me if you want to discuss.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher

Last edited by techweenie; 01-16-2015 at 11:19 AM..
Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)