Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help please

Hello all,

I have 1989 930, but I don't drive my car that often (less than 1000mi/yr). My car does not start time to time. However, once it started, runs great. Also, push start works always. I have a new battery. What could be wrong? Thank you for your helps in advance.

John
Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi John,

The best ting is to start with the basics. Check timing, Alternator should be charging at about 14.2 volts and your battery must hold more than 12 volts at rest minimum. You need to get fuel system testing pressure guages; they are less than $100. The fuel system needs to be checked for Cold Control Pressure(CCP), Warm control pressure(WCP), boost pressure, and system pressure. The fuel system also needs to maintain resting pressure which is measured specified time intervals...1min, 5min, 10min, and 30min or something close to that. The exact times and pressures are listed in the Work Shop Manual(WSM). If you do a search in this forum you will find tons of information. Other members will chime in with additional information specific to your 1989 930. Let us know more details of the issues you are having, what equipment and experience you have.

Best of luck,

Rahl
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Probably not applicable to your situation but, drive more. Lots more. These cars need to be driven
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Doesnít start mean the starter doesnít engage or the fuel pumps donít energize?

If the starter engages check for fuel pump buzz while cranking. If yes fuel pump check for spark by pulling 1 lead.
If not fuel pump check relays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
"does not start" isn't much help. What are the symptoms when it doesn't start?

e.g. my '86 wouldn't start from time to time. But it made a hellofa grinding noise. My issue was a couple of areas on the starter ring gear with missing teeth.

Look at the "my car won't start" sticky at the top.
'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition, and EBC. SC cams, K-27/29, Tial 0.8bar, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for the information, and sorry for not specific.

The starter is working properly (cranking well). In order to eliminate alternator and other charging relate issues, I have changed to a new battery. However, 4 out of 5 times, my car does not start using the turning key. Since I can start the car by pushing it, fuel related issues may not be the problems although I am not certain.

I think it may may be related to relays, and don't know where to start to check for relays. Would you help on relays? I will check this forum about relay. Thank you again.

John

Last edited by jkyook; 01-13-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi Rahl,

Thank you for your time and advise. I will check the basic as you suggested.

John
Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi rufrob,

Since my car starts by pushing, it may not related with fuel or electrical charging. Which relay do I have to check? Would you let me know how to check the relays or direct me where to get more information? Thank you again.

John
Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
It could be your Starter Solenoid but have not given enough details of the symptoms when trying to start. Does the engine always turn over when you turn the key or only sometimes? etc etc.

Rahl
Old 01-13-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

the problem is you don't drive it.
these cars like to be driven.

check for spark when cranking.

if you have spark remove the connector on the top rear of the AFM. this will run the pumps with key on and engine off. try cranking

with key in push down on the sensor plate for 2-3 seconds, then crank it
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

All,

Thank you for all your helps. Currently, I travel a lot and don't have that much time to drive the car. That is the reason I could not drive the car that often.

The cranking is working very well. If turning key does not start the car, I call my friends to push start the car (it somehow always start the car). Once the car started, it runs great.

Is it true that fuel delivery system works fine since the car can be started by pushing?

Is there some electrical components bypassed during push-start rather than turning key?

I am in other country at this moment and have to stay another month. I will try all your advice when I get back home.

Thank you very much
Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

start with spark when cranking.

the fuel pump thing is easy. I would do it anyway.
I have never checked to see if there is enough airflow when cranking to run the pumps so its any easy way to rule that out.

then look at the CSV circuit.
pushing down on the sensor plate with key on will simulate the CSV coming on and put fuel into the engine.

I would also look at plugs, cap and rotor.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-15-2019, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
staring