Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo Cabriolet Questions

I presently own a 996 Turbo….I’m looking for my next Porsche

I’d like to get a second car for weekend duty that has already run out of depreciation. I’d like something with the following attributes:

Able to be worked on at home (no extensive electronics)
Availability of reasonably priced parts (no Ferrari)
Is, or can be made at least reasonably fast for highway driving
Convertible
Fairly reliable for its age
Fairly rare……just something you wouldn’t see another one of every week
Would like something with value appreciation potential, so maintenance performed or small projects (ie interior restoration) won’t be automatically tossed down the drain

My budget is $35k (have about $33k right now). The cars on my short list are:

1987-1988 930 Turbo Cabriolet (don’t want to pay the 5 speed premium)
1963-1964 Corvette (don’t want to pay the disc brake premium)
1993-1995 Viper

First, if anyone has any more car suggestions, I’d like to hear them. Secondly, is my budget right for a driver mileage decent condition Turbo Cab? I have been watching ebay and autotrader, any other good sources to locate the 800-900 cars imported to the US?

How have prices on these changed in the past 5 years, and what are your guesses for value over the next 5 to 10 years?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There's only one convertible that I'm a fan of and it's not a 911. You can't beat the look of the 63-67 convertible Vette. Not sure if you get a nice one for $35k though. Maybe? Not sure.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Don't know how much "value appreciation potential" a 930 cab has. There were certainly a lot made (and a fair number of grey market ones, too, diluting the demand:supply ratio). You're certainly not looking at the next numbers matching Hemi 'Cuda phenomenon, here.

On the other hand, I don't think they'll depreciate too much farther. Looking at the value guides periodically published by Bruce Anderson in Excellence, 930 values seem to have been fairly flat the last few years. I'd have to go home and look them up to give you specifics, if you want. I figured worst-case-scenario: early 930's (from the late '70s) go for the low 20s. So that's the absolute lowest I'd ever see later 930's valued at, before they'd maybe slowly climb up again to be labeled as "collectible"--roughly the same time we run out of gasoline anyway.

If you were willing to sacrifice some power (how fast are you going to be going in a convertible, anyway?), you could also look into a normally-aspirated 911 cab (with or without the Turbolook option). Simpler to work on. More engine longevity. Cheaper to buy. And not something you see everyday, anymore.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There actually weren't all that many 930 cabs made.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had a 911 that was turned into a widebody 930 convertible and I loved it. I had installed a roll cage for extra safety and it looked nice with the top down. I like to go fast and but sometimes going fast with the top down is nice. All three choices are great. Personally I would go with the 930 convertible.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fastbacker
There's only one convertible that I'm a fan of and it's not a 911. You can't beat the look of the 63-67 convertible Vette. Not sure if you get a nice one for $35k though. Maybe? Not sure.
I've been spending quite a bit of time over at the Corvette forum asking some of the same questions. Most agree you can buy a '63 or '64, with either an older restoration/non-original motor or a fixer-upper with an original engine for $30-35k

I agree about the looks, but the Turbo has some advantages such as a back seat (two young children).
Old 01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally posted by Noah930
Don't know how much "value appreciation potential" a 930 cab has. There were certainly a lot made (and a fair number of grey market ones, too, diluting the demand:supply ratio).

I'd have to go home and look them up to give you specifics, if you want.

If you were willing to sacrifice some power (how fast are you going to be going in a convertible, anyway?), you could also look into a normally-aspirated 911 cab (with or without the Turbolook option). Simpler to work on. More engine longevity. Cheaper to buy. And not something you see everyday, anymore.
Noah,
Its not so much the appreciation as seen in the goofy muscle car market, but lets say 5% a year, which would cover normal maintenance.

Have thought about NA cars, but usually 5 minutes later I'm on the Protomotive site checking the Stage 1 Turbo packages

As far as how fast, 996TT performance isn't required but I'd like a car that at least could defend itself....usually

Yes, I'd appreciate any market pricing information you could come up with.....thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Shark--PM sent.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: