Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Craig, that thing would blow sky high, but for the street and those occasional 180+ blasts, it took it very well. But any kind of racing around a track at constant boost would destroy it... I agree.
18 psi kick the $h*t out of a lot of exotics though
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Im with 930gt. I think a road car situation is quite far removed from the track car situation (in terms of heat) and as a result the boost window could get stretched a little. As for the twin plugging- I would do it for at least three reasons. 1- a bit more future proof if you want to take things further (a very very possible senario.....!) 2- much less agro to do now than later. plug them off and forget them until you need them. 3- its another selling point to the next owner if you ever sold it

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 04-01-2007, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Amen to that, twin plug rocks
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to air-cool-me
you need a better picture then that!!!

"Given the light weight and gearing advantage you will have an incredibly fast car without all that."

it was a beast 60-150

Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
"The car is a hybrid - mid-year S chassis, 3.2 brakes (currently), 915 trans, 21 & 30 t/bars."

You have a show stopper in the mix.
Your 915 tranny will not endure much more than 350ft/lb of torque over the long haul.
Darn it Rarly, are you clairvoyant?

Update: On closer inspection, it looks like the mag-cased 915 had been quite unhappy with less than that... Most of the bearing races had spun in the case, the 5th gearset was blued - probably oil slosh under prolonged boost on the track.

The verdict was that the mag cased box could be rebuilt and would "probably be fine for street use, but russian roulette on the track".

I don't mind a car that isn't prepared for a 12 hour enduro, but I certainly want to be able to run the odd track session without a scene from The Deerhunter.

Sourced a 3.2 915 with an oil cooler, MB Engineering are to go through it and fit a spray bar kit and other goodies.

If that doesn't hold up long-term, it'll either need the WEVO cases with the SS bearing saddle goodness or even a 930 box.

A taller 5th can't hurt, either. I feel no pressing need for more top-end speed per se, but slightly more relaxed cruising wouldn't be unwelcome.

LOL - Nick, why am I not surprised you have a picture of the car at a gas station? It'll pass most everything but one of those...
Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: