Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb Interesting Spark Plug Article

Found this in the Tech Article section

==================================

Spark Plugs

I have been using three electrode Bosch plugs for years. They are specified on the 911 3.6 liter Carrera and 911 Turbo. What is really surprising, is the increase to a warmer heat range. The early 911S and all Turbos used a ridiculous cold and expensive W3DPO spark plug. This little plug costs about $16.00 each and I have never removed one that wasn’t dark and sooty (indicating too rich or too cold of a plug!) Tuners of these expensive Turbo and early 911S cars were, and are, reluctant to vary from the factory specifications. This is a problem. as Porsche can not respecify the older cars without recertifying the whole engine emission certification all over again. Porsche is not likely to do this.

What is interesting though, is what has happened to the 911 Turbos. The trend became to increase the power output while meeting tighter emission standards. The compression ratios were increased to 7.5:1(from 7.0:1) and even without knock sensing using a much hotter spark plug, the FR6LDC. This is a copper core, double ground electrode mini spark plug. The fact that the Porsche factory specifies this very warm spark plug for the awesome 3.6 Turbo is not so difficult to understand. I have talked to Bosch, BERU, and NGK about their new applications for old W3DPO spark plugs, and have been told that those were really too cold — even for a street Turbo. The factory originally specified them in the same way they specified spark plugs for the special 356 Carrera 4 Cam, 911 S, 2.7RS and other higher performance "street" Porsches. The factory expected these owner drivers to run the daylights out of their Porsches and they did not want the engines to "ping" and detonate from using non-German gasoline. So they specified cold spark plugs. It worked. The 911 Turbo came along at first as a batch of 500 only, to be sold originally for "Friends of the Factory." They got the same treatment as the earlier specials. Nothing changed until 1992.

The 3.6 Carrera has used Bosch FR6DTC triple electrode since 1989 and these run great. I started using these 3.6 spec spark plugs in just about all 911’s and have had excellent results with them, especially in my own hard run Turbo motor. I will keep my pile of old "W3DPO", but only for competition events.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-06-2007, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

You can always try the W4DPO, a bit more hotter.,Candy.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, I already run the W4CS plugs and have been happy with them. I have a stack of new W3CS plugs which I'll try next, but I know they're too cold anyway. Got them at $2k ea, so it was a no brainer to stock up
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Can someone point me to a source for Bosch F4CS plugs please?
Bullet Racing #22 GT3 Cup
Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think I'm going to give the FR5DTC triple electrode plugs a try in my street turbo for a while, once these W3CS plugs are completely fouled up (which won't take long by the looks of them). I suspect the FR5 will have a much longer lifespan than a 3 heat range plug in my car.

Also, considering the later model 3.6 twin turbo's run a FR6 range plug, the FR5's should perform admirably in my 3.3 EFI turbo
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Hey Merv...did you drop those FR5's in?????
Old 05-27-2007, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Certainly have... been in there for a while now. Seem to be performing nicely for my daily street monster, even at 1.25bar. I'm going to pull a few of them this weekend just to gauge how well they are working by assessing their color.

If there are any signs of running too hot, I'll drop down to a 4 heat range. If they are still sooting too much, I may even go to a FR6LDC (993TT units).
Old 05-27-2007, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Well...I'm getting some whacked out cyl head temps...steady 500's...may be a faulty temp guage as my oil temps are below normal with the front mount cooler...if I verify the head temps with a seperate thermometer I'm checking the spark plugs next....A/F is not too lean as per my dash guage.....
Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
will this cheaper plug work in a 80 3.3l turbo?
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 05-27-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by h20cooled7
will this cheaper plug work in a 80 3.3l turbo?
Sure it would. Just keen an eye on them to make sure they aren't exhibiting any signs of running "too hot", but in my motor running 1.2bar of boost, they are working great.

My original post above suggests the author of the article was having great success even running FR6DTC's on his "hard run turbo motor", so the FR5's would be fine as they are a heat range colder than what he's running.

The later model twin turbo's such as 993TT's and 996TT's all run the FR6's
Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Let me drag this topic up again...
So, my SC turbo has been online for a week or so. I feel like the spark may be a bit weak. I have Clewett wires, and a stock 6 pin Bosch CDI. I installed a set of Bosch plain jane WR5 single electrode plugs ( a bit HOTTER than stock). Car runs good, but not as good as I think it should. I am running 5 PSI boost.

My plug colors are a greyish color, not very uniform. Not the chocolate brown I would prefer to see.I'll post some pics tonight. Being colorblind, and not recalling ever seeing this in a plug, I ask opinions.

Thanks!
Pat
Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Pull a couple of plug wires and check the resistance on the wires. I have Clewett wires, but the connectors got wet (possibly condensation) and rusted. On a couple of wires, the resistance tripled.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Thanks Don:
I had the same problem with my Clewetts. I had sent them back, and R Clewett gave me a new improved set.

I spoke to a mechanic ( the term mechanic does not nearly describe his skill and expertise), and I richened up my mixture a tad, and backed up the timing 5 degrees. I guess 930's have boost retard on the distributors? My distributor is stock SC.

I neglected to mention I also have water injection, which may explain the lean looking plugs. My AFR's are in the 12's, and I can get into the 10's on boost.

Pat
Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: