Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb Something interesting about spark plugs!

I just read something interesting about spark plug heat range selection.

It seems, for every 75-100HP you add to your motor, you should go one range/step colder when selecting spark plugs.

I never knew this to be honest! There you go, you learn something new every day
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-11-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Where did you read that? Not trying to doubt you, but curious. Do you have a link or the whole article. Sometimes, not all the time, things are taken out of context. If you can believe that..
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It may not be that simple. I am not an expert just a 930 owner/addict.

I have 505 rwhp. So that is what ...about 594 at the motor? I was running cold (NGK 7 range) spark plugs and they kept getting fouled. I swapped them out for some hotter ones and it is better so far. Only more time (and miles) will tell.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I read it in a tech section on the NGK.com WEB site.

If you add significant HP gains to your motor with more boost, you will need a colder plug in order to remove heat from the combustion chamber more efficiently.

If you run a plug that is too hot for your motor, you risk detonation under heavy loads (which is BAD). If you run a colder plug for your motor, the only risk is that the plug will foul quicker.

I personally would rather be changing fouled plugs more frequently, than running the risk of severe engine damage by running a plug that is borderline

I'm currently running W3CS plugs and they seem to be performing better in my motor than the W4CS plugs I had in there previously.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What about the DPO's? Does the W3CS work better or just cheaper? will the W3CS work on a stock engine..and what did you pay for them?

Thanks

Bob
Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

DPO's are Platinum plugs and have a longer lifespan than the CS's. The DPO's also fire more reliably on stock ignitions at higher than stock boost levels, but since I run a CDI, that's not really an issue for me. W3CS would work fine on a stock motor at stock boost levels. Certainly a cheaper alternative to the DPO's, at the same heat range as recommended by the factory.

I suspect the factory specified a 3 heat range because they knew their customers would be thrashing their cars on/off the track, so they wanted the extra insurance of running a colder plug.

At the end of the day, cost was the factor for me. I was quoted AUD$50 for each DPO plug , whereas I sourced the W3CS's for USD$2ea NEW So I purchased a dozen of them. Might pick up another 18 or so and just have them as spares, since I typically change my spark plugs every 5,000-7500km's.

EDIT: I know a warmer plug will stay cleaner longer, but I'm not risking pinging/detonation in my motor, especially at the boost levels I run. $50 on a set of plugs every 7,500k's is more cost effective than an engine rebuild

Last edited by WydRyd; 04-11-2007 at 06:27 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Merv, maybe you could get the W3DPO's sent to you from the USA at a reasonable cost.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yeh, I looked into that, but it was still cost prohibitive, especially since I'll soon require 12 plugs The W3CS work very well and are significantly cheaper. My source is selling them at $2ea (excess stock), so I'm stocking up on those whilst I can
Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: